OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke tube problems!!!!

Started by Indianayounggun, April 02, 2011, 10:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indianayounggun

alright guys im really racking my brains about what happened today while patterning my turkey gun!! so i have a remington 870 super mag turkey/predator and i have a hunters specialties untdertakers choke for it. it is the ported model that is for lead use only and that is all i was shoioting out of it. anyways i patterned the gun and when i brought it home and attempted to clean it i tried to take the choke out first thing. when i tried to take it out it was really sticky and didnt come out easily at all. i figured that it had some fouling on it so i cleaned off the choke really well with hopes 9 and went to put it back in and it wouldnt hardley even fit in the gun again. bare in mind it fit in prefect right before i shot it today????? i really am confused as too what could of happened to the choke???? also we thought that maybe the threads could have gotten messed up in the gun but that isnt the case cause my other chokes fit in the gun still no problem?????? thanks for any ideas about what this could be!

VAHUNTER

i do not buy anything with H.S on it. throw it away before it does serius damage to your barrel
Good things come to those who wait

I hate turkeys

By sticky did you mean tight. If so that sounds like choke creep. The choke expands in the barrel.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

msgobblergetter

Choke tube swelling happens from time to time... Nothing you can do other than to get a new choke.  My advise is to ditch the undertaker and get a JellyHead if you are on a choke budget.  If you can spend more and the JellyHead doesn't work for you, get a choke from either Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Kicks, Sumtoy, etc...  I personally am partial to Pure Gold because of performance, strength and outstanding customer service.

Indianayounggun

yes, it was very very tight. like when you tried to put it in the barrel it would not even get to the threads before it would get stuck and wouldnt go any further! im glad we didnt shoot it an more cause it sounds like some damage could have been done for sure. do you guys know if there is any way to know if there was any damage done to the barrel?? thanks so much with the advise

pitjeep

if your other tubes screw in it should be ok.

mcgruff1533

Quote from: Indianayounggun on April 02, 2011, 11:34:08 PM
yes, it was very very tight. like when you tried to put it in the barrel it would not even get to the threads before it would get stuck and wouldnt go any further! im glad we didnt shoot it an more cause it sounds like some damage could have been done for sure. do you guys know if there is any way to know if there was any damage done to the barrel?? thanks so much with the advise

It's doubtful any damage was done to your barrel thus far.    I had a similar problem with an Undertaker choke that I bought last year.    I never fired it because it wouldn't thread all the way into my barrel.   As a result, there was a gap between the gas skirt and the barrel itself.     I contacted HS Strut and they sent me a new Undertaker no questions asked.    They even covered return shipping on my defective model.

The new one threads in just fine and actually shoots pretty good for a budget choke.     It's not my best shooting choke, but it does out pattern other chokes that cost at least $20 more.

Spurman1985

Sounds like the choke wasnt heat treated rite . Or it made out of a poor steel. Try a jelly head thats what I use haven't had any problems amd love it

Indianayounggun

alright thanks for the feedback guys. good to know that there probably isnt any probelms with the gun itself, sounds like it was just a bad tube so i will go try a jellyhead.

Spurman1985