OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tough but encouraging first day.  (Read 2153 times)

Online 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
Tough but encouraging first day.
« on: April 09, 2016, 01:18:31 PM »
Today was the Va opener. Heavy winds, cold, and even some snow!

Morning started off extremely promising, I never had a chance to scout this new area so just going off the areas abailable (base hunting) I picked the one that looked to have everything turkeys need. I parked the car and popped the trunk and birds started sounding off all over! I though man this is great no way I don't score one today. These gobblers where hot! I had 6 in all different directions except for 2 that roosted together. All where within 400 yards.

I heard the first 2 get picked up by hens calling to them. They where first to leave, then 4 where left. A few just wondered off without replying to me at all. They just gobbled and gobbled and walked away.

Left one, directly across the road from me. Maybe 150 yards. Every time I did a series of yelps he lost his mind. I decided it was time to go silent and let him come to me. Well 30 minutes goes by and never heard from him again.

Then the weather went to hell and that was all she wrote.

Rough start but encouraging knowing the numbers are good and the birds where active early on.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 06:15:33 PM »
I'd say so!  Plenty of time to hone in. Go get um

Online 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Tough but encouraging first day.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 06:39:29 PM »
Anyone got tips on how to handle birds like this? Just a couple yelps and shut up? Get aggressive until they fly down and then shut up? Get aggressive and stay aggressive?

Still can't believe I had 6 spouting off all around me and not 1 came in to the calling. Going back to the same spot Monday morning before daylight and going to try and get within 100 yards of one roosted.  Hopefully they are still there.

Days like this make me feel like a crappy turkey hunter lol.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gumby

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 10:41:03 PM »
Get there early and get close

Offline ILHUNTER

Re: Tough but encouraging first day.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 11:41:27 AM »
I agree with Gumby, get close so they don't have near the room to vacate the area, good luck on them.