OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SS leopardwood  (Read 3857 times)

Offline Txag12

SS leopardwood
« on: April 08, 2016, 09:29:32 AM »
Received a SS leopard wood scratch box the other day, my first, and it's a beaut! Would love to become better at running it, I am comfortable with the cluck and purr, but for whatever reason I just can't get my yelps to sound right. Any tips for someone new to a scratcher? Thanks again for the great call Al. With some more practice I hope to have it be another addition to my regular Arsenal of calls!

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
Re: SS leopardwood
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:45:19 PM »
I'll offer advice as a rookie - since I'm new to the learning curve last year...

1st - watch these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4AXfdAa3KY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljyarOK1l30

Biggest thing I learned - let the call do the work! Go light on the pressure in a smooth stroke. Then you can vary the angle slightly, the pressure slightly, and where you play the call. You can run it on center of box and center of striker, center of box an edge of striker, end of box and middle of stiker, etc. etc.

Keep trying different variations until you get the sound you are looking for, and then try to repeat it.

I'm sure there are many more tips from the advanced callers, but this is what I figured out early on. Good luck, have fun!

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:32:36 PM »
I bought a scratch box after watching Drenalin on here run one last year. It intrigued me. Talked to Al from SS. He assured me Itd be a go to call in the vest. My goal was to call one bird w it but since my time was limited I was hesitant.
Forgot my strikers home one morning. Pulled out the scratch box n talked a handful of birds in. They were only jakes but loved the call. I've not been without one since n SS imo make the best. Al was right

Offline Cleveland48

SS leopardwood
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 08:24:50 PM »
That's pretty cool video. I'm still trying to learn a trumpet right now. I believe I sound horrible, but did manage to call up 4 jakes with it yesterday. I may be looking to put one of these in my vest for next year also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
SS leopardwood
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 03:15:34 AM »
I bought a twin to yours in leopardwood. I'm a rookie on a scratch box myself.

I've been practicing and really like the sound I can get out of it. (Once in awhile :) )

I just need to get consistent with it. But I will carry it in my vest for sure. I like smalls, secret weapons.

The craftsmanship is top notch too, really nice!!!

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »
Great call! Good luck!

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 11:59:41 PM »
The best way I found to run them is to flick the call on the striker. If you drag it, like a regular box call, it'll sound dead. I like to start in the middle of the box and work toward the outer edge while decreasing the volume...Also start at the top of striker and work slightly downward toward middle.
You'll get higher pitches toward the top of the striker and the edge of the box. You can vary pitch by using different areas of striker/box.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:58:52 PM by sixbird »