OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Yildiz 28ga o/u  (Read 4911 times)

Offline old3toe

Yildiz 28ga o/u
« on: April 07, 2016, 06:33:10 PM »
 Picked this up the other day. It's a yildiz 28ga o/u with 26" barrels. Has an aircraft aluminum frame with steel contact points. Laser engraved flushing quail on sides and bottom. It's a sweet little gun. Came with five chokes. Fit and finish is really impressive for an o/u at its price point. Anyone else have experience with one of these? Not sure on the exact weight but feels like 5.5-6lbs. Can't wait to start patterning it.

Offline old3toe

Re: Yildiz 28ga o/u
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 06:55:04 PM »
More pics

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 10:31:17 PM »
I use a 20 for gobblers. You will want to take it down and lube the internals with something like CorrosionX. Also, shoot for POI. Briley will correct if off.

Offline old3toe

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 10:16:31 PM »
 Thanks Howl. I haven't got to shoot for poi yet. The wind has been crazy here lately. Its good to know they'll correct it if its not right.

Offline old3toe

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
  Well the wind calmed down enough to shoot some paper and check for poi/poa on the little yildiz. I think the barrels are hitting about right. You can let me know what you think if they're supposed to be better. I had to downsize the pics a little to get them to post. I put the bead at the bottom of the tape in a six o'clock hold position. They were shot at 25yds with 3/4oz hand loads no 8 shot. The top barrel shot pretty much on with the full choke and the bottom barrel impacted a little low and was choked with the improved modified.

Offline old3toe

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 07:26:25 PM »
 Notice how the full choke threw a larger more open pattern than the improved modified. Guess you just never know til you try a choke and shell combo. I've read and been told the little 28ga doesn't tolerate a full or extra full choke well. Of course it depends on the load and shot size.
  Also I was in academy earlier today and noticed they had some yildiz 20ga full flush fit chokes marked mobile choke on clearance for 5.99 a piece. For those of you that shoot the 20ga o/u and live by an academy you might have them discounted there as well if you could use one.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
The first one I got was about a foot and a half off at 15 yards. Briley retheaded the chokes to get it spot on. The one I use now is three or four inches low at that range. I just aim at the head. As long as it's dead on the windage I figure a gun that throws low will save me if I pick my head up. It's worked great so far.

Offline old3toe

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 11:36:39 PM »
 I suppose the bottom barrel has to be somewhat low up close so at the farther distances it arrives on target with the line of sight and top barrel. Mine appears to be good on windage too. Your right about the lower impact saving ya.  Without a red dot it's so easy to pull your head up shooting a single bead. I bet it does work well! Seems like it'd be a great advantage having a close range barrel and long range barrel. That's the best of both worlds at the flip of a switch. It really cant get any better than that. I'm already thinking about the 20ga model with 26" barrels too. Think it's called a youth model. I'm not sure i will be able to get the 28 to do what I'd like to without the heavy shot, but the 20 no doubt will. Figured you could go with a heavier than lead in a tight choke then a lead and open choke. Is that how yours is set up?

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 07:56:47 PM »
Nah, I just bought a Sumtoy for the top and used the factory full on the bottom.I have a hard enough time remembering to keep the top barrel selected. That youth 20 does look like a turkey special!

Offline old3toe

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 09:03:46 PM »
 Are you shooting lead in yours? Does it shoot nice patterns? That'd be my luck, shoot the wrong barrel.lol Anythings possible when you add more variables to the equation.lol Bet the youth would be! To bad they don't come in 24" barrels.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »
Pm sent

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 05:05:11 PM »
The Turks sure put some nice wood on inexpensive guns.  Gil