OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Deep cleaned barrel, myth?

Started by batsonbe, April 07, 2016, 12:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckeyejim

Anyone try just running a dry patch through the barrel between shots after letting the barrel cool back down ? I do ALOT of card shooting with custom built barrels and can say on some days if my pattern starts to fall off I can run a dry patch through and it will come out really wet. After doing so my gun will come right back. Sometimes it takes a wet patch of 50/50 rubbing alcohol and acetone then a dry patch to bring it back. I also have guns that do shoot better dirty. Some chokes will come back if I take a metal pick and clean the plastic out of the wad stoppers I never see that mentioned here either.

BINK McCARTY

The whole point of cleaning a SHOTGUN barrel is to reduce friction that comes from the wad,and also some powder....its not like that of a rifle where accuracy can/would be robbed due to the carbon build up affecting the rifling . In my experience,I got my best results from a thorough cleaning to start,then run a boresnake with some solvent on it then another to dry it up after each shot.

batsonbe

I deep cleaned. Then after each shot run a bore brush then patches till they come out clean has given me the best results

mikejd

My patterns are atleast 40% better with a deep cleaned barrel, time and time again.

renegade19

Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 08, 2016, 03:40:37 PM

With my 870 on a squeaky clean barrel I may shoot 270 with hevi13 3" 7's and then clean it down to the metal again and shoot 220.  If I clean it to the metal, shoot it, then brush/patch I'll be 240-250 consistently. 

Shotguns are the women of the gun world; no one knows what they want, how they want to do things, or when they will do things, no 2 that look just alike will like the same combos.  And like we do with women we try to figure them out and throw money at them to see what they prefer.   

They are also prone to getting angry and hanging up at the worst possible time!

renegade19

BTW, my 870 Super Mag also likes it on the dirty side.  I guess this is also like some women..... :you_rock:

dzsmith

polishing your barrel will allow it to stay cleaner longer. especially out of a real short barrel gun. my 21" barrel is totally trashed after just a few shots. if I deep clean and polish my barrel before the season I know I can hunt all season long and shoot a limit of birds with the expeception of cleaning it after rains or what not. my second shot is always better than the first . why I don't know, but over all I get better patterns out of a clean barrel  vs a dirty one
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

RiverRoost

Is there anyone reputable that I can send my barrel to for a deep clean?

dzsmith

im sure sumtoy or rob Robertson polish barrels. but theres no reason to send it to anyone. its very simple. all you needs is the solutions and power drill. i used a scotch pad and hoppes #9 for the cleaning part. and i used mothers mag polish for the polish part. gave me a mirror finish.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

allaboutshooting

Quote from: RiverRoost on September 01, 2016, 09:29:40 AM

Here are the guidelines http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel

Some barrels shoot better clean, some slightly dirty and some very dirty. The only way to find out how yours shoots is to clean it, then shoot without cleaning between shots, until patterns either degrade or get better. Then you know.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

hookedspur

Quote from: allaboutshooting on October 13, 2016, 10:07:30 PM
Quote from: RiverRoost on September 01, 2016, 09:29:40 AM

Here are the guidelines http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel

Some barrels shoot better clean, some slightly dirty and some very dirty. The only way to find out how yours shoots is to clean it, then shoot without cleaning between shots, until patterns either degrade or get better. Then you know.

This !
The only way to find out what your gun likes best is to try it all.

I deep clean and polish befor each season then use a dry swab or bore snake after returning from a
hunt or after I have fired my gun, and if I have shot several rounds 8-10 I will run alcohol patches
followed by dry patches through it.

Thanks,
Clark
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mtns2hunt

Been shooting my BPS for over twenty years and never deep cleaned although I do clean it more and for a longer period at the end of the regular season. Tube is bright and clean with no apparent impact on patterns. Seems to shoot the same clean or dirty. Have always been told that wad plastic builds up in barrel but never noticed this. Still I like my guns clean, always have, so I will try the deep cleaning as described in this post at the end of the season. Kept away from it because some of the techniques I have read about use a drill to turn the brush. Too much risk of damage with this method in my opinion.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: mtns2hunt on October 27, 2016, 09:59:00 PM
Been shooting my BPS for over twenty years and never deep cleaned although I do clean it more and for a longer period at the end of the regular season. Tube is bright and clean with no apparent impact on patterns. Seems to shoot the same clean or dirty. Have always been told that wad plastic builds up in barrel but never noticed this. Still I like my guns clean, always have, so I will try the deep cleaning as described in this post at the end of the season. Kept away from it because some of the techniques I have read about use a drill to turn the brush. Too much risk of damage with this method in my opinion.

The "Deep Cleaning" method uses a combination of the chemical action of the solvent, I like Hoppe's #9, and the agitation of the brass/bronze brush in the bore, to remove the "gunk" that has accumulated from shooting. The chemical action of the solvent, left to work, is equally as important as is the agitation of the brush.

The technique is safe even for chrome-lined bores and does not use any abrasive materials or brushes on drills.

Deep Cleaning is the only way that I've found to determine whether a barrel patterns better "squeaky clean", slightly fouled, or well fouled. Many of my guns are different and I have some that pattern better in each of those conditions.

I start out just after Deep Cleaning, and shoot without cleaning in any way between shots, until the patterns get better or degrade. For some, it makes a real difference and for some, not so much but i learn a lot about each gun by doing that.

Deep Cleaning link http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

longislandloco

Like barrel break-in of a hunting rifle....mostly myth, as Americans we tend to over think so many things we do. JMHO
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe