Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Started by DMP, March 25, 2016, 01:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMP

Opening day was this past Sunday.  Got on a bird right off that must have gobbled 50+ times on the roost.  Once he hit the ground he never made another sound.  Landed in the road out in front of me.  Never paid any attention to my calling.  After 30 mins of not hearing hom anymore I left to find another one.

15 mins later I found another one.  He would respond to me but never would come.  This probably lasted for 45 mins.  I eased up to try and find him and spotted him alone in a tar and gravel public road.  He was alone and just feeding along the shoulder of the road.  Called and new he wouldn't even give me a curtisy gobble.  After watching him for another 20 mins I figured he was just going to sit there and feed so I backed out and swung out wide to get on the other side of him and above him.  Called and he answered.  Every time he would answer I used the lay of the land to get closer.  Finally got to 100 yds or less and sat down.  10 mins later he slowly came to meet his maker. 

Since then things have been slow.  I have hunted every day this week and only worked one bird. 

Fullfan

Good deal man and congrats on the first bird of the year. Not being afraid to move has tied many of my tags to a gobblers
leg..
Don't gobble at me...

MDbowman

Nice start, congrats!

cramerhunts

Very nice, congratulations!

BowBendr

I know several people hunting down that way that said things were slow. Way to make a move to get something to happen !

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

canadatom

Congrats on a good start!!

derek

Awesome DMP, wishing I was in the woods now!  Good luck out there
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Scottyb

Mossy Oak Pro Staff...

Doug Lewis

Sweet deal Derek. That's a nice heavy bird  :icon_thumright: