Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

youth hunt report

Started by trkehunr93, April 04, 2016, 10:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

No luck on youth day, for whatever reason things stayed quiet all morning.  We did call in a hen at 7:45, Jayden was laying on the ground curled up asleep in the brush blind when I heard her clucking from across a powerline.  I nudged him and he got his gun up, when she finally crossed she was by herself.  He asked if she had a beard, in VA as I had explained to him a bearded hen is a legal target, I said no.  Since he has never killed a turkey if she had been bearded I would have let him shoot, I had seen a hen last spring in the same area that had at least an 8" beard on her.  We stayed out until 10:30AM when the wind started howling.  He got several good naps in while I stayed on watch, on the drive home I asked if he wanted to go out again and he said definitely.  I had roosted a bird Friday night but where he was at there is a wide and deep creek you have to cross and I wasn't going to expect  him to take off his boots and roll his pants up to wade thru knee deep water in the dark, I don't think he would have gotten out of the bed if that had been the case.  We just need to invest in some hip boots for him. 

davisd9

Glad the young man got to see a little action. Hopefully things will pick up for him and he will bust one.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

Doesn't sound like a bad hunt! Pack him on your back across creeks. Did it for awhile with my son, can't anymore he out weights me.