OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Push button, push pin forum

Started by MISSISSIPPI Double beard, June 12, 2016, 04:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Why doesn't OG have a forum for these calls? They can be very effective, I have one in my vest every time I go in the woods.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

TRG3

I've been watching some YouTube videos on turkey hunting and noticed that fighting toms draw a crowd. The Funky Chicken decoy resembles the posture of a fighting bird and I'll borrow another to set the two very close together to replicate the fighting position. I'll then apply my Knight and Hale fighting purrs calls. I'm planning to see if this technique works for fall hunting. I'll begin using this technique in early deer/turkey bow season to see if I can take one with my long bow, then extend it into the late October shotgun season if it works. The plan seems infallible in my mind, then again...it's turkey hunting and anything can work or go wrong!

Greg Massey

I've carried a Quaker boy easy yelper for several years. Never had a custom made push pin call, but i'm sure someone makes a good one..

Old Gobbler

I would like to create a push pin area , but there's only a few guys making them .....me ....one of them and it would come off as self serving - but there seems to be a ever increasing group of hunters using them verses about 10 years ago , perhaps in a few more years we will see

Probably the best thing that could happen for push pins is if more guys that use and hunt with them would actually start making them and selling them to other hunters . I get plenty of phone calls all the time from folks asking me if I could share some of what I know about push pins , and in particular how to make them .... probably the best or only folks that should be making them to sell to others is folks that have a strong interest in hunting with these types of calls

Before I started hot roding other push pins and eventually making my own , I had a preference for the Quaker boy standard "easy yelper " not the waterproof.....not the youth , or turkey thug....the standard easy yelper......those are in my opinion the best commercial made push pin , but you have to try about 20 out to find one you like ..  My calls are significantly different in design though -- there is a few guys making push pins today , I strongly recommend people buy them up because I feel they are collector pieces that are yet to be appreciated one day eventually
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

ncwoodsman

I killed my first Gobbler using one of the push pins. I always carry mine and have used it from time to time.

monty690

Shannon, I'm pretty sure nobody would see it as self serving. You're just one of the boys hanging out around the tailgate like the rest of us. I for one would like to see a pushpin forum. There's not a lot of places to get info about them.

greencop01

:camohat:   I picked up a Loftis Chatterbox and it works. Its larger than most and I think it makes its sound unique. I have been fooling around with it and I've come to the conclusion one could do quite a alot of calls with it. It is more versatile than I would of thought. I would like to see a push-pin forum also. :homersimpson:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Marc

Just another cool toy to have in the vest, or are there some distinct advantages to this call (outside of ease of use)?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

The call I have had the best luck with as far as this type of call is a Knight and Hale model 150. It has a distinct sound to it. One thing about it is it was apparently broken during manufacture as you can see where it was glued together on the side. I had one guy tell me it was a kid call. LOL, I know a lot of gobs that would say different, IF they could.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny