OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2 years in a row opening day  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
2 years in a row opening day
« on: April 02, 2016, 05:22:05 PM »
Well I headed up the steep hill on the left hand side like usual
6:00 am birds were cranking but none on my side. They were 2 below me and several on the right hand side. I made a plan to ease over to the 2 below me to the first shelf and try to call em up hill. Well I hadn't intended on jumping 3 hens off roost. They went to the bottom and the gobblers did to shortly thereafter.
I decided I'd make my way around the long way by traveling ridge tops and try to get on one on the right side.
I made it halfway around and found a truck parked on our place where I called up those 3 last weekend.
There is 4-5 different landowners that join back in here and it's gated off and well over a mile from pavement to drive in. I ain't sure why they parked there but it didn't set well with me because I set up there sometimes and had planned to if I could not get on one.
I kept on my way and heard 3 hammering on another property. The log road is the boundary I got up to where I felt was a good spot and set up on our side in the woods. I broke out the Dawkins stoned aluminum and boy they liked it.
I heard a hen answer but had a feeling it was another Hunter because of the truck but wasn't sure. Well they started my way and the hen/Hunter would call and they'd go back. We played tug of war for 20 minutes. The last they gobbled they were back on the other property and went silent. I figured I'd lost I set there awhile just listening almost gave up and they gobbled again. I called to them and they came down to me in a run. I could hear them walking just out of sight. Well the hen/Hunter called and they headed back. I yelped a few times on the Halloran TKO here they came back well hen/Hunter called here they went to them lol !
I said enough I called again and started scratching in the leaves and wasn't no time Pssst Vroom!
All 3 came off the other place and crossed out in the log road
I shot the last one at 17 yards
I almost whiffed on him. He flipped and flopped till I grabbed him.
My pattern pounded a tree 23 yards from where I was sitting .
I had a couple lucky pellets I reckon. 
Turns out it was another Hunter who came in from the bottom on that property he walked out and we talked a bit before I headed out. He said he never heard me call at all till the 835 roared he had no idea I was around. We had a nice visit seemed to be a good feller. That's the first time I've encountered people back there.
Hope it doesn't become a normal occurrence lol. Still gotta find out who was parked in the truck and ask them not to park there.
I failed to film this hunt ???? I hit record but somehow hit the power button after.

18.9 pounds
9.25" beard
13/16" both Spurs