OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

QUESTION??? Federal Mag-Shot with FliteControl Wad

Started by Franchi I-12, April 02, 2011, 12:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franchi I-12

Thought I seen it somewhere on here that you was supposed to only use non-ported choke tubes for this load. Can you guy's tell me if this is true or not? I have some of these loads just laying around the house and thought I would ask before shooting them. I also have a couple of non-ported chokes I could use. Thanks for any info. !!

Lon0121

alot on ported chokes are made to catch the wadding so it wont affect the pattern!.  some have success using that load in ported chokes but others dont.  try the nonported and ported to make sure!
post some pics
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

mcgruff1533

I just posted a very similar question on the same topic.

I've been using ported and non-ported chokes with FCW equipped shells and still cannot say whether or not ported tubes have any effect on pattern density.

Federal suggests non-ported, more open chokes with their FC Wads, but I've gotten my best patterns from tight, ported chokes such as a .643" SSX and a .660" Indian Creek BDS.    Both chokes are ported and have wad strippers which works in direct conflict with the FC Wad, but still delivers better patterns than my
non-ported .665" Undertaker, .660" and .670" Carlson's chokes.

I'll be watching both threads as I'm sitting on quite a stash of Federal FCW shells.

HogBiologist

I get the best performance out of a Mad Calls Super Max (basically an Indian Creek) with ports and wad strippers.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

devin4484

my step dad shoots the factory .705 xxfull choke that came with his 835 when he got it.  He has tried a pure gold .670 and its much tighter at 25 yards then the factory choke but it opens alot more 40 with the gold.  He has a 100+ in a 10"circle with 3.5 hv 5 2oz load.

bawana

I called Kick's, I was using one of their Gobblin Thunder Ported Choke Tubes, They said they would not recommend shooting Flite Control shells with it. Said they would be bringing out a regular choke tube for the Flite Controls soon!

TLT

Not sure what gun you are shooting but if using the I-12 get a ported Carlson .665 for Mobil Choke threads it will shoot the Flite Control wad. I have another post on this forum. I have not had any luck going tighter than the .665 constriction.You should get 130-140 pellets #5 or #6 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards which is more than sufficient to get the job done. I used to have an I-12 my brother has a Nova which has the same choke thread. Hope this helps just my experience keep us posted on your progress.

TLT