Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

First day out ...no joy!

Started by old frank, March 30, 2016, 11:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old frank

I went to my friends farm yesterday for my first try at a gobbler this year. He was supposed to work later but decided to hunt a few hours. He went to a corner of the property at the end of the dove field and I went the other way to a hardwood bottom backing up to a swamp.

I had been seeing good scratchings here but we never heard a gobble. Owls were hooting like crazy so I sat quiet for the first hour and just watched, expecting to see a red head easing around somewhere in that bottom.

From daylight until 10:00 I called every 15-20 minutes hoping a lonesome boy would come looking.
My friend started feeling guilty (plus he has no patience) so he went back to the house at 9:00 to work from his computer.

I eased around until noon ending up on a food plot surrounded by hardwood, creeks and a swamp but no turkeys were seen but I did see seven deer walk within 10 yards of me.

My friend texted me and asked if I wanted to hit the pond for a few hours so I said OK, it was looking inviting and it was getting really warm out. H e said when he came out of the house a big gobbler was out in the dove field about 200 yards away and it wandered back into the woods. It walked right by a deer blind we have and a place I will probably sit the next time.

At least it was a pretty morning and I enjoyed being in the woods. Bass were a little slow but we still kept about eight small ones and three giant blue gills. Friend hooked a giant cat fish probably 15 lbs and I was getting ready to grab it when the hook came out.

No turkey but fresh fish and hush puppies for dinner.