OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Older Federal Mag Shok (before flitecontrol)

Started by hobbes, March 30, 2016, 01:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbes

I don't have too many options for turkey ammo locally, at least nowhere near what I had when I lived in Illinois.  It seems like the majority of the shells on the shelf around here are #4's.  I've shot #6's for years and have no plans of changing. 

I've shot 3 1/2" Winchester Supremes for a long time and used to get amazing patterns from them (especially when I lived at high elevation), but at some point something changed with the production of the Supremes and my patterns fell off some. It wasn't anything to worry too much about because I could still stomp a tom at 40 yards all day long.

Last year I hunted with the Longbeards, but don't care for them.  Yes, they shoot amazing patterns at 40 yards, but leave little room for error and I don't like that.  So I picked up a box of the Winchester high velocities the other day.  I guess they don't call them Supremes anymore, but the specs (3 1/2", 2 oz., #6, 1300 fps) are the same.

I was also at another sporting goods store and noticed five boxes of older Federal Mag Shok high velocity shells ( 3 1/2", 2 oz., #6, 1300 fps).  They had been there a while.  Some of the boxes were starting to come apart.  The boxes did not say flitecontrol, so I'm assuming they are pre-flitecontrol (if there was such a thing).  The boxes were orange.  Their original price was 19.99 but had been marked down twice, once to 13.99 then 11.99.  I figured I didn't have much to lose, so I bought one of them and figured I'd pick up the other 4 if they shot as good as the Winchester.

I shot some lead yesterday w/o cleaning the barrel (other than a brush that went through it a couple months ago).  The temperature was 45 with no wind and I shot from 40 yards using a rangefinder.  I've been shooting the same Comp n Choke XXX for years.

I don't know what is different about the Winchesters now, but they only put up 95 at 40.  I used to put up 150+ when I lived at high altitude.  The "old" Federals put up 135 at 40 for the best number.  I went back to buy the rest today and after having those shells for so long, someone had already bought two of the remaining four boxes.

Anyone know what is different about the Winchesters now and if the Federals I bought are truly pre-flight control?

owlhoot

Does the Federal box say anything about triple plus wad column on it?

hobbes

I'm out of town today so I'll have to check.  If so, is that the same as the Flightcontrol wad?

owlhoot

No it is not the flight control if it says tripleplus wad column.

hobbes

Talked to my wife on the phone and had her read the bullet points on the box.  The last bullet point states that it is the tripleplus wad.  Good to know, maybe I can locate more of the old ones somewhere.

stinkpickle

Quote from: hobbes on March 30, 2016, 11:11:09 PM
Talked to my wife on the phone and had her read the bullet points on the box.  The last bullet point states that it is the tripleplus wad.  Good to know, maybe I can locate more of the old ones somewhere.

FYI - Those 2 3/4" ones I have with the newer box design have the "Triple-Plus" wad. 

KYStalker

Look at the serial number on the box if it starts with gst then I believe that means they are the grand slam loads before the flite control wad, even though they are in the red box.  I've got a box and they put up great patterns, wish I had more.
If you're not first, your last!!

hobbes

I had already confirmed it but did see that the number starts with GST.   I wish I'd been able to pick up all 5 boxes instead of just 3.  Turkey ammo doesn't move very fast here so I'm keeping my eyes open for more in every small town shop I have a chance to stop in.

KYStalker

I found mine at a large ammo store mixed in with the newer mag shok stock.  It was like finding buried treasure.
If you're not first, your last!!