OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SC season complete  (Read 3308 times)

Offline YoungbuckTX

SC season complete
« on: March 28, 2016, 07:29:09 AM »
Hell of a first week. I hunted 3 different SC upstate counties, 4 hunts, 100 miles from each other. Had encounters every single time. Fields, pines, and swamps.

Opening day, March 20 - I scouted a few places on my new club and had turkeys located, until the week of the opener. They disappeared. No gobbles, no tracks. I went from having plan A, B, and C to nothing. Saturday I was walking a section and found fresh gobbler tracks. So, followed them as far as I could and decided to hunt it Sunday morning. I got to the general area, not really expecting anything. At first light I was just BSing around waiting for a gobble and bam, gobble, not 75 yards from me. I get low and crawl to a tree.  Light yelp once, and a few minutes later I bust his head open at 15 yards.

That evening my buddy calls me to say he watched quite a few turkeys, and at least 4 longbeards go to roost on the edge of wheat field. The next morning I drive two hours to meet him at the farm. We get setup well before sunrise, not knowing how far the are off the field. The first crow brings a gobble 300 yards off, but nothing near us. I noticed a white dot to our right, but thought it was a fence post..and then I see the strutter with another bird silently walking our way. We had no plan, and not really in range to whisper to each other. He had first shot, a bird flops, the strutter jumps up and sails not far enough. Donald yelped at him and I made a lucky shot.

Now I am 2 days into the season with just 1 tag left. I take a couple days off and go back to my club on Wednesday. I decided to hunt with an old Winchester model 12, 20 gauge. I get a bird worked up, he gets to within 100 and shuts up, so I did too. 30 minutes later I yelp and he's gone further- another away. Short story, I followed him for 3 hours, grinning the whole time. Finally a hunt.. But he quits eventually, after crossing the highway twice, and a creek once. And I leave empty handed.

March 25- Good Friday. I call out of work to hunt with another friend, who that has never shot a turkey. Last year we had multiple close calls on a pair of toms, but never could get a clear shot on them. We setup in the same spot and an hour after daylight finally get an answer. After a few series of yelps and gobbles, they approach on our hard left. We are both leaning against the same pine tree and he whispers "I SEE ONE, HERE THEY COME". Finally they come into my field of view, running, 3 birds. The strutter approaches the hen decoy, and I start the count down, he mumbles something... but I keep going. BAM, two turkeys are flopping, the 3rd runs away, changes his mind, comes back to the action, and gets shot. So now my buddy finally gets his first turkey(s) and I am tagged out. What a great morning.

So, summary. First hunt solo kill, second double, third I got played the fool, and finished with a triple... I think maybe I died and went to turkey heaven.. Fun week, hopefully I can do some travelling now.
line 'em up

Offline nickhrp

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Gobble gobble
SC season complete
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:07:43 AM »
Wow those some nice birds and congrats on the great SC season
God Bless the Outdoors

Offline Illini Tom

• Gobble Gobble ... Bang!
Re: SC season complete
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:02:47 AM »
wow is right. sounds like some great hunts. big congrats  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
nice toms. any upgrade over your first one?

Offline YoungbuckTX

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:09:45 PM »
wow is right. sounds like some great hunts. big congrats  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
nice toms. any upgrade over your first one?

THANKS!  Yes, latest bird scored 58. I am going to try NC next week, so may wait on doing all the pics for a score.
line 'em up

Offline YoungbuckTX

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 12:10:33 PM »
video of the last hunt

http://youtu.be/V8-RNipnBhU
line 'em up

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 12:53:46 PM »
Congratulations to you on some awesome birds! I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little jealous. Way to go!

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 03:41:58 PM »
Dang bud, guess you just wanted to start fishing that much sooner :z-guntootsmiley: Nice job and congrats
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Online Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 04:16:50 PM »
Well done, and best of luck with the rest of the season
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline sonofabuck

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 10:08:34 PM »
Just not seeing these!!  Awesome!!  Great video too.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
SC season complete
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 05:44:05 AM »
Congrats. That's an awesome morning! The pic with the sun rising is ace!