OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: choke suggestions for short range  (Read 6251 times)

Offline SnapT

choke suggestions for short range
« on: March 27, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »
 Hello .   I will be running an O/U with a Carlsons Longbeard XR on top and am trying to decide on a choke for the bottom bbl . thinking something with less reach ie Carlsons cremator in short or med .   any reccomendations ??
Will be using win longbeard XR ammo fwiw .

cheers

Offline Philippe

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: choke suggestions for short range
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 11:55:50 AM »
Stick a modified in there and see what happens, I bet you will be surprised. I'm assuming you want one barrel for those longer shots and one for if one pops out at 10 yards. 

Offline SnapT

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »
Thanks and yes . I figure the longbeard XR covers me for long and wanted something for those "where did he come from" moments .
I'm new though and my friends think I'm crazy for going the O/U route lol . Impatiently waiting on the postman for the shotty and kitting out in the meantime .

thanks

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 12:32:08 PM »
I've always said the 0/U would make the perfect turkey gun, tight turkey choke in the top for 30-40 yd shots
factory full for 15-30 yd shots
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline SnapT

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
 My thinking exactly .  I saw the browning cynergy ultimate turkey gun . Quickly realized I'm not wealthy lol and thought of a clone .
I'll try the modified and full that come with the gun before buying another (already bought the Carlson longbeard before the gun even arrives )

cheers

Offline Gtown78

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 04:03:04 PM »
If it were me I would use a Mod choke and high brass 7.5 lead. Cheap and out to 25 yards he wouldn't have a chance.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 06:01:02 PM »
Modified choke n federal heavy 7s can be a great combination. Here's your problem, oftentimes longbeard loads since they are so tight shoot off poa. If this happens you'll need sights to right it all. At ten yards even with a great spread youd not want to be using side of pattern but center. It may be a problem so pattern the gun. Good luck

Offline SnapT

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 07:58:04 PM »
 Thanks for the tips .
I've purchased several different loads of longbeards from 3" #5 , 3" #5magnum and 3 1/2 #6 mag . A friend said try some Kent .
I plan on hitting the range when the gun arrives and pattern away .
As to sights I hope to install a TRS-25 if I can .

cheers

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 08:43:32 PM »
Thanks for the tips .
I've purchased several different loads of longbeards from 3" #5 , 3" #5magnum and 3 1/2 #6 mag . A friend said try some Kent .
I plan on hitting the range when the gun arrives and pattern away .
As to sights I hope to install a TRS-25 if I can .

cheers
I've never seen a double gun capable of 3-1/2"? Modifying the post, looks like Tri star makes one. Just be sure gun is compatable w shells
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:06:50 PM by Bowguy »

Offline Boll Weevil

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 04:47:54 PM »
I shoot a H&K O/U with 3-1/2" chambers.  Ported barrels + ported Rhino choke tubes; .660 on top .673 on the bottom.

The turkeys hate it.

Offline SnapT

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 05:15:57 PM »
  hey Boll Weevil if you don't mind me asking doesn't that gun have a rail ???  I was told by one shop that I cant get a an O/U drilled and tapped .
Maybe its an "at the factory only" type of deal .

cheers

Offline codym

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 05:58:40 PM »
I shoot a lot of sporting clays and upland birds with O/U's and one thing I have found even on high end guns is how poor barrel regulation can be. Best case scenario is the barrels converge at a certain distance ie 25 yards. Before 25 and after 25 the patterns are moving in opposite directions. Not a big deal for wing shooting with open chokes, but tight chokes could be a huge problem. I would think the best way would be to sight in for the tighter barrel at 40 then use a pretty open choke like a mod or light mod with a good heavy pheasant load of 7 1/2's and that should cover you pretty well out to 25 yards. If you could get an o/u set up that would be a pretty wicked turkey getter. Good luck

Offline Boll Weevil

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 06:13:13 PM »
  hey Boll Weevil if you don't mind me asking doesn't that gun have a rail ???
Yes, vent rib.  B-Square makes a picatinny rail that mounts to the rib via plates and set screws; rock solid.  I added a 3moa Burris FFIII and it is in my mind, the dream turkey gun.  With chrome lined bores and tight machine tolerances I have no POI/POA issues for either barrel.

Offline SnapT

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 06:17:19 PM »
 That sounds like an awesome gun .
I'm trying to source the vent rib mount now in Canada . I've found some in the U.S. but they wont ship . Guess we're considered overseas lol .

thanks 

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 07:52:57 PM »
Double barrel gund are set to shoot (on a good one) the same poa at a set distance. Anything further or closer should be a little off. By no means doubting what anyone is saying about their gun. 
Changing shells in the barrels could affect this too and super tight patterns exaggerate it all