OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey #2 and my Florida season is over  (Read 2648 times)

Offline TURKEYWHACKER

• The Boss Gobbler
Turkey #2 and my Florida season is over
« on: March 27, 2016, 08:35:19 AM »
Well the pulling the trigger part at least. Now guiding my Dad and Granddaughter will be my mission the rest of the season.
After picking up Blackmagic at midnight we hit the road and made the WMA gate at 1:30am. First in line, what a surprise. The next vehicle didn't show till 4:15am, guess who wasn't first? We went to the same area as last season and after walking down the tram we split off and headed to our chosen spots. I waited on the end of the tram for grey light to avoid having to use a flashlight. My GPS took me to my spot dubbed "Swamp Gobbler 2" for being my second set up last season. I opened my Gobbler Lounger, set out my Avian X lookout hen and settled in. On my second series of tree yelps, a bird gobbled from the roost. Oh yeah, game on. I gave it about 10 minutes and hit em with some more tree yelps followed up with a flydown cackle. Gooooooble. He was on the ground and close. Less than two minutes later movement on my right caught my eye. Not one, but two Osceola swamp gobblers were heading to the decoy at a fast walk. I slightly shifted my gun and the lead bird stopped, putted and turned to leave. Being a right handed shooter trying to shoot to the right while seated in a Gobbler Lounger aint the easiest thing to do. BOOM, with my tight pattern and the awkward position I missed. He kicked it into high gear, but I rolled out of the chair onto my knees, pumped the gun, found the back of his quickly departing head in my scope and BOOM #2. He crumples and I jump up and claim my prize. My season is over only 15 minutes after legal shooting light on my third trip.
16.5lbs
8 7/8" beard
Right spur 1 1/8"
Left spur 1"
Score: 55.5

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
Re: Turkey #2 and my Florida season is over
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 07:03:04 PM »
Awesome way to go. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 05:22:27 AM »
Awesome. Another for the board. Great job.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 01:12:09 PM »
Congratulations, that sounds like it was a lot of fun. Good luck on your mission for getting your family done.

Offline blackmagic

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 03:05:20 PM »
That was a great hunt given such a tough weekend.  I need to get on the board!!!  As usual, having a good time, just been frustrating not even being in the game with a bird.

Offline Mountainburd

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:48:43 PM »
Nice work Turkeywhacker, congrats! Getting that second shot can be tough.

Offline Hayudog

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 11:25:48 AM »
Very Nice. When it works like you think it should makes it just that much better.  It really gives you something to think about when they do just the opposite. ????????

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »
Congrats WTG!  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline TURKEYWHACKER

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 10:01:42 PM »
That was a great hunt given such a tough weekend.  I need to get on the board!!!  As usual, having a good time, just been frustrating not even being in the game with a bird.
Don't worry buddy, yours will come. Hope you can make the woods Friday and clear up that nasty case of Avian X Flu you contracted.  :TooFunny:

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 06:41:09 PM »
Great job Turkeywhacker!!! Guess you chose that username for a reason!!  ;D :lol: