turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just 2 days before the season opener.

Started by allaboutshooting, April 01, 2011, 09:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

It's just 2 days before the season opener here in Southern Illinois. I thought I'd better decide which gun I'd like to take hunting this year and pattern it to make sure I was still on target.

For most turkey seasons, I've used whatever gun I've been shooting the most and the shells that I'd been shooting with it.

This year, I dug out an old 11-87 that I'd not shot in a while and decided to use some 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #7 shot that I just got a few days ago. I've shot these shells from time to time in different guns but don't remember shooting any in this one.

Since it's supposed to be very windy for the rest of the weekend, I went to the range just to make sure the POI would be the same with these shells as the #6 shot I normally use.

Here's my first shot.

The POI was just a little higher than with the #6 shot but it was pretty well centered. I think I'll call it good.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Hognutz

I would say that you are good to go. Good luck with the hunt, Clark. I hope the birds are big and come easily for you guys..Mike   :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

allaboutshooting

Thanks Mike. I've been putting in some pretty long days and I look forward to getting out in the woods for a few hours.

Doris also needs a break. She has a number of older friends and several of them have had health problems in the last couple of weeks. She's been taking them to appointments, checking in to make sure they're okay, providing food, etc. Between that and putting up with me...she needs a break.

Thanks again,
Clark

Gold Spur

Very good pattern Clark! The turkey in your area are definitely in trouble.... :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gold Spur on April 01, 2011, 10:13:21 PM
Very good pattern Clark! The turkey in your area are definitely in trouble.... :icon_thumright:

It's supposed to be very windy and maybe a storm on Monday but we'll do our best..

Thanks,
Clark

hookedspur

Wow Clark you got the gun tuned now just find the Sweet spot on the call and put em to sleep.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

allaboutshooting

Quote from: hookedspur on April 01, 2011, 10:51:16 PM
Wow Clark you got the gun tuned now just find the Sweet spot on the call and put em to sleep.

Thank you. That's a very old gun that I just don't shoot much these days but it's always shot pretty well for me.

I haven't done much work on calling in a long time. I do have some "sweet" pot calls that I need to get out and see what I can do with them.

Thanks again,
Clark

chatterbox

All my best Clark! With that pattern, they will never know what hit them! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: chatterbox on April 02, 2011, 03:57:41 AM
All my best Clark! With that pattern, they will never know what hit them! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Hey Mike,

Thanks. I need to get my gear together now. I'm not too prepared this year. Hopefully, we'll find some birds.

Thanks again,
Clark

boggszilla

Good luck!!!i'm next door in IN,we still have till the 27th before we can go.

Gobble!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: boggszilla on April 02, 2011, 10:18:34 AM
Good luck!!!i'm next door in IN,we still have till the 27th before we can go.

I hope it's a good season for you. I used to hunt Tippecanoe County, IN and had some great luck there, just west of West Lafayette.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gobble! on April 02, 2011, 10:31:54 AM
very nice

good luck monday clark  :icon_thumright:

Thanks. I still need to get my gear ready and then we'll be ready to go. We're just hoping the weather cooperates.

Thanks again,
Clark

njdevilsb

Looking pretty good.  Waiting to see some after the hunt photos.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: njdevilsb on April 02, 2011, 07:18:00 PM
Looking pretty good.  Waiting to see some after the hunt photos.

Thank you. I'll be certain to take a camera this year. Hopefully, there will be something to photograph.

Thanks again,
Clark