OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: G5 strikers  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Swamp Rooster

G5 strikers
« on: March 26, 2016, 03:21:04 PM »
This is my first year going after turkeys with a bow. I use G5 Strikers for deer and wondered if these will work for turkeys or is it a necessity to mechanical broadheads with a larger cutting diameter?

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Re: G5 strikers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 03:48:50 PM »
I've shot birds with fixed blade heads and you may not know if you hit them good or not. The birds I've taken will walk off and die but have no real reaction to the hit. I use 2 bladed Rage heads. The head chopper type heads don't fly well for me and are a close range type head 10-15 yrds.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline JLH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 10:22:52 PM »
A large mechanical is not necessary, but it gives you a little more of an advantage if the shot was not "perfect"

I've shot a couple with slick tricks, and if you hit them right, they don't go anywhere....maybe flop around for 5 -10 yds....and you definitely know you hit them!

I would imagine if they walk off and die, you hit them a little low.

Hit them in the upper wing bone, or where the wing meets the body, and they won't make it out of sight.

I do use a mechanical head now, wasp jak hammer 1 3/4" cut....I have had good luck with them.

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 04:16:53 PM »
I've used G5 for turkeys without problems. Haven't lost a turkey yet, knock on wood.

Offline dantheman

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »
agree with jlh there only killed 1 bird with a 3 blade 100gr muzzy and hit well he didnt go far. Big mechanicals for me. 2" grim reaper whitetail special and they drop right there. prior to them I shot the rocket 2" hammerheads also with great luck.