OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SBE 1 RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE  (Read 6188 times)

Offline Poleaxe

SBE 1 RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE
« on: March 26, 2016, 12:09:13 AM »
Tweaked my benelli this year being my second year turkey hunting.  I put a kicks GT 660 choke and added the tru glow sights for the top.  I have 3 and  half in longbeards in 5shot.
First shot -  ate out the 3in center circle nicely. 
Second 40yrds- The POI was about a foot low. I drew a 10in circle around the tightest group and it came out to 259 at 40yrds. Good?  Bad?  or Ugly?  Shot twice more and the same results.  The sights don't have a up and down adjustment.  Their held on the barrel with double tape if I'm explaining it right.  I really hate to hunt and have to aim and a different spot I'm trying to kill it at.  Any suggestions? 

Offline popapi1

Re: SBE 1 RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 02:39:28 AM »
With my SBE1 I used the 3" LB XR#6s W/665 GobblinThunder that shot great. 259 is awesome, may have to do a Burris FF2 to get dialed it like you want, or a TruGlo mag gobble dot pro series. Now you do you should have some shims that came with the SBE1 that you can install in front of the stock that may help as well. Google benelli SBE shims and read up on how they work!

Offline kwcb12

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 02:43:02 AM »
x2 on the fastfire.  Just put one on my SBE2 with the speedbead mount.

Offline yella yelper

SBE 1 RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:30:16 AM »
If you're using rifle sights, the shim won't make a difference. Mine shot a foot low and I changed the shims from the "D"  shim (most drop) to "A" shim (most flat) and it still shot a foot low because the sights still the same. I can't adjust it anymore or it'll fall off. Just accepted to aim at his eyeball since I got it down to 6"-8" low. Those are great numbers btw

Offline Poleaxe

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 06:00:59 PM »
I shot again and the previous 259 was at 34.5yrds. My buddy said he ranged it at 40 a while back.  So after I shot yesterday from actual 40 it was actually 191. Is that a good number?  Still shooting low.  Guess I'm gonna have to aim high.  These trueglo sights don't have any adjustments to them.  Here I thought getting a muzzleloader to shoot true I didn't know shotguns were so tricky also. 

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 11:40:46 PM »
191 will do it at 40 yards for sure. You will get better numbers if you add a Burris Fast Fire sight like others here mentioned.  I favored the Speed Bead mount over drilling and tapping the receiver and it was easy to install. The sight doesn't affect he balance of the gun and it absolutely helps keep the meat of your pattern centered.  There's a good reason Benelli Custom Shop puts the Fast Fire sight on the SBE II Turkey edition. Just Sayin'.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »
191 will do it at 40 yards for sure. You will get better numbers if you add a Burris Fast Fire sight like others here mentioned.  I favored the Speed Bead mount over drilling and tapping the receiver and it was easy to install. The sight doesn't affect he balance of the gun and it absolutely helps keep the meat of your pattern centered.  There's a good reason Benelli Custom Shop puts the Fast Fire sight on the SBE II Turkey edition. Just Sayin'.

Jim
YES,YES,AND YES AGAIN!!!!! Great #s and go with the speedbead system but I went with the FF3 cuz ya dont have to take it off to change batteries!!!

Offline Boykin Hollow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 07:13:32 PM »
I know this is late getting to you but I switched this year to a Jeb's head hunter 665 choke.  Shooting a benelli sbe I.  I smoked my first turkey at 50 yards with it using Winchester XR long beards # 6's.  That is one great choke if you don't mind the $109.00 price tag.  Jeb's is out of Hazelhurst, GA.

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 10:41:22 AM »
Don't ever go into the field w/ a turkey gun which doesn't shoot POA/POI. It is hard enough, sometimes during the rush and excitement of the hunt, to properly put the sights on the gobblers wattles without trying to deduce where "in the air" to aim.  Get a better sighting system for your gun which will allow for adjustments in both elevation and right/left.  If you prefer open sights get a set of the Williams Fire-Sights which will give you all the adjustment which you will need for proper POA/POI.  A great paper pattern with a high 10" percentage of shot won't do you any good if it isn't delivered POI.  To get the maximum patterns w/ your SBE I, send the barrel to Rob Roberts and have the forcing cone lenthened.