OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Federal HW 7's 3" 1.5oz 870 20ga 21" IC .565 non ported non wad strippers  (Read 9501 times)

Offline SpitNDrumN

The best factory 20ga turkey loads on the Market.

With this load and this choke I constantly get 90 percent shot retention in the 20" circle at 40 yards with even dense patterns.

Federal Heavyweight 3" 1.5oz 7's Flite Controls.
870 20ga youth/compact 21" barrel
Indian Creek Non ported Non wad catcher smooth bore .565 Choke
40 yards from end of barrel to target
70 degrees, 0 wind, low humidty.
Striped cleaned and polished barrel.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:36:48 PM by SpitNDrumN »

Offline turkey buster

• Longbeard
That's a jam up pattern!

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
Where did you get that choke from?

What's the 25-30 yard pattern look like?

That's a great 40!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline SpitNDrumN

It was in the gun when I bought it. The guy that I bought the gun from called and had IC make it for him just for the Fed HW 7's.

Offline R AJ

• Paintbrush Beard
Ouch!! Now all you need is a willing volunteer.

Offline chatterbox

• Long Spur Gobbler
That is one of the nicest patterns I have seen from that shell! :icon_thumright:

Offline SKFOOTER

• Paintbrush Beard
Does anyone shoot this combination thru an Indian Creek ported choke and if so, how does it pattern?? :OGturkeyhead:

Offline vaturkey

• Limbhanger
  • Good Things Come To Those Who Wait!
Does anyone shoot this combination thru an Indian Creek ported choke and if so, how does it pattern?? :OGturkeyhead:

IC does not recommend shooting Fed HW's through their ported chokes.
Vaturkey

Offline SKFOOTER

• Paintbrush Beard

I realize that they don't recommend it.  But that's just like Kick's not recommending that Hevi-Shot be shot thru their chokes and several of us have done it for years with no ill effects. 

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler

I realize that they don't recommend it.  But that's just like Kick's not recommending that Hevi-Shot be shot thru their chokes and several of us have done it for years with no ill effects. 
  I shoot those 20 ga HW#7S and love how they smash birds.I use a sumtoy and rsf chokes .Ive never shot the 20 ga HW7s thru a 20 ga indian creek, but i have seen a ton of guys on here and other sites shooting that combo and they pattern real well from what i have seen. That said, i have personally ruined a Indian Creek choke in my 935 12 ga shooting Federal Heavyweights. That was an early HW 12ga load and from what i understand the FCW on those 12 ga loads was extremely stiff plastic and didnt do well with wad stoppers or ports. The 20 ga FCW is suppose to be a softer more pliable plastic that reacts better to wad stopping chokes. I wouldnt have any problem shooting HWs in a 20 ga Indian Creek. That said, i wouldnt buy an IC choke to shoot HWs, theres better options like trulock, sumtoy,jebs, or have indian creek build you a non ported choke .   

Offline cutt down

That's a great pattern.

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
Federal HW 7's 3" 1.5oz 870 youth/Compact 20ga 21" barrel IC .562 non ported
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 10:53:45 PM »
That is sick!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
Federal HW 7's 3" 1.5oz 870 youth/Compact 20ga 21" barrel IC .562 non ported
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 10:54:20 PM »
Wonder how long it would take IC to build ya one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Very nice!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
Maybe the best overall pattern from factory shells I've seen from any gauge shotgun.

IC needs to make a run of these bad boys.