Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Federal HW 7's 3" 1.5oz 870 20ga 21" IC .565 non ported non wad strippers

Started by SpitNDrumN, March 25, 2016, 10:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadux

I have shot that load through the ported IC .555 and it patterns just as well.  In fact- I have gotten better 40 yd, 10" cores with the 3" 20 gauge Fed Hwt #7s than I could ever get out of the 3.5" 12 gauge Hwt #7s.  Something about the 20 gauge flite control wads are just different.  If I was not reloading TSS this is "the" load I would be turkey hunting with! :OGturkeyhead:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

Sumtoy had the 562 pegged for the Fed #7 HW way back when. The five wad catcher rings to boot. The main problem with the design of the ported I C choke is that the number of ribs weaken the choke to the point whereby a stiff collar or sleeve passing through can tend to spread those ribs.

The ribbed IC choke is still an excellent choke but just not designed for that type shell.

The old Hastings chokes were non-ported and had no wad catchers and came in 562 as well.

SpitNDrumN

I tested a cheap $15 .570 Primos tightwad before season this year and was blown away and the results. I had never broke 200 with Federal HW 7's until trying the tightwad choke.

SpitNDrumN

I thought it was a fluke but after several more shots the numbers stayed in the 180's-190's. One thing that surprised when testing that string of shots I had one pattern that the 1.5oz Federal HW 7 had 22 more pellets on paper than what is supposed to be in the load. 22 pellets over. One federal HW 7 weighs almost 2 grains. 22 pellets over! There was 351 pellets on the paper and there's only roughly 329 in 1.5oz