turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

South central NC

Started by Cwcook68, March 25, 2016, 07:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coonhunter

Been listening for the last two weeks. Heard a bird last week and 1 Monday and three Tuesday but nothing since. 29 degrees this morning so not expecting much.
Joshua 24:15

Cwcook68

Where are you located Coonhunter?

Cwcook68

Tomorrow is opening day of youth here in NC, good luck to all that are hunting and be safe!!!

Cwcook68

Amazing what can change in a week in the turkey woods, there on fire in Wilkes this morning and at mid day. Regular season opens here in NC tomorrow good luck and be safe to all that hunt tomorrow.

gunboy203

Went out this morning opening day and didn't even hear 1 gobble...  Nothing......!
Wilson county... Try again tomorrow....

Cwcook68

Had the opportunity today to hunt a friends lease in Montgomery county, had one gobbling at around 8 come in on a string but I guess he didn't see what was calling to him so he split before I could shoot. Did a little running and guning till lunch. Sat up 2 hen decoys and a Jake and at 4:00 I scored a nice bird. He came in and flogged that Jake decoy till the metal stake bent over 90 degrees and I shot him at about 35 yards or so. 10"beard and 1" spurs. I'll post pics if I can figure out how.

ZachH28

Opening day in the Piedmont for me was very very quiet. I hunted morning and afternoon and never heard a single bird gobble. This morning on the other hand was a different story. Birds were not very vocal on the limb for me, but they really lit up after fly down. We came close, but he wouldn't close the deal. I heard birds all throughout the morning and messed with two birds around nine that would only shock gobble. Regardless of birds not cooperating, it is still unbelievable the change within 24 hours under virtually identical weather yesterday and today. Best of luck to y'all! It is finally here!

Cwcook68

Headed to Wilkes co. tomorrow, anybody hearing any birds??

Cwcook68

Struck out agin, beautiful morning but that's about it. Didn't hear a bird or see a bird till my ride home, there's a large amount of hens on this farm in Wilkes and the gobblers must be henned up. I will give them a shot next weekend.

Cwcook68

Well , I hunted Montgomery co. Saturday. Absolutely beautiful morning, and and not a peep but I did end up tagging out. I actually set up where I knew the birds would end up around 10 am and low and behold they did. Had out a hen and a Jake decoy and the bird came right to them. 35 yard shot with the new TSS by Federal #9 shot. One more week to go , I sure would like to hear the gobble but I'm done. Walked many miles and hunted hard , time to clean everything up and sit by the pool and think about them gobbling. Good luck and be safe till next year!!

Casey

Cwcook68

Well it's 2019 and seasons getting close so I decided to go out to a track of public land to do a little scouting this morning. Had a couple gobbling around 8:00 so it's looking good here in Nc. It's been raining so much here it's hard to see any sign but I plan on hitting pretty hard till season opens. Hope everyone has an awesome season and stay safe. Updates coming.

Cwcook68

Pretty quiet this morning in southern Rowan co. But I did find a bird , he gobbled exactly 1 time and then went silent. I happened to walk up on him and 2 hens, didn't spook them and got a chance to watch him strut for 30 minutes or so. I think he's workable, but he's a long ways in. Probably head back out next weekend for one more listen.

Cwcook68

Birds were really vocal this morning in Rowan co. Even on the ground, hunted till 9:30 and the rains moved in. Had several close but didn't connect.

Cwcook68

Hunted Moore country this morning, wind settled right at daybreak. Not a peep in a spot that's usually good for a gobble or two. Wind got back up around 9 so I called It quits around 10:30. Probably should have went to my trusty public land spot, oh well back t it next week. Side note, friend of mine tagged out in Montgomery co. around lunch time got his first bird last Saturday.