turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

South central NC

Started by Cwcook68, March 25, 2016, 07:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cwcook68

Went to my honey hole  where I know there's turkeys , nothing.

Cwcook68

Went out this evening to listen a bit. Wind has been terrible the last few days so I figured they might be vocal but I was wrong not a peep and I know there are birds here. So opening morning will be a crap shoot. Good luck to everyone tomorrow in NC for opening day.

BottomLand54

Mature birds are Henned up and quite watched 2 4.5 yr old birds yesterday with hens

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Swab21

Quote from: BottomLand54 on April 08, 2017, 05:59:33 AM
Mature birds are Henned up and quite watched 2 4.5 yr old birds yesterday with hens

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Its the Same in Lee and Moore county NC.  gobbling on the roost and as soon as they are on the ground, they are quite.. I am still looking for one that wants to dance!!!

Cwcook68

Hunted this afternoon in Stanley co, stumbled across 4 jakes in a pasture set up a couple hen decoys and did a little soft calling and the came in on a string . The farm was belonged to the uncle of the friend that was with me and he had never shot a bird so he shot and missed and they scattered with no shot for me but it was exciting the work some birds. They never made a sound coming in.

Cwcook68

Hunted Montgomery co. this morning, birds were silent till they hit the ground. Herd the first gobble at around 8:30 .

Cwcook68

Hunted Montgomery county agin today, walked at lease 8 miles , not a single gobble. Seen some fresh sign but no birds. Think I'm about done for the season, old paws are tired.

Cwcook68

Hunted Stanley co again this morning, finally had some birds that wanted to play. Birds gobbling at every sound. 2 different groups of at least 3 birds each. Had a hen decoy out , when I herd them fly down I gave them a little soft calling and here they come. One jake and one long beard, shot the long beard . 20 lbs 1 1/8 spurs, 10" beard.

BowBendr

Quote from: Cwcook68 on April 29, 2017, 11:10:30 AM
Hunted Stanley co again this morning, finally had some birds that wanted to play. Birds gobbling at every sound. 2 different groups of at least 3 birds each. Had a hen decoy out , when I herd them fly down I gave them a little soft calling and here they come. One jake and one long beard, shot the long beard . 20 lbs 1 1/8 spurs, 10" beard.

Good job sticking with it brother  :icon_thumright:
Been following this as Ive hunted the Uwharries for about 40 years.....
Its been a little rough down that way for me, finding way fewer birds on the GL's, I heard 2 gobble on the morning of March 21st before fly down....heerd nary a gobble since....

Cwcook68

Bowbender, I can tell you where there are at least 2 mature birds at Uwharrie. Had an encounter 2 weeks ago but my side kick decided to do some excessive moving so he spooked them before we could get a shot.

Cwcook68

Well it's all over here in NC, next report in the spring of 2018. Good luck to those that can still hunt!!!

Cwcook68

:fud:On a promising note, was at my lease in Wilkes co over the weekend and seen lots of young birds. Looking forward to spring.

Cwcook68

Seeing big flocks in Rowan and Wilkes co. here in N.C....

Swab21

I have seen a couple of small flocks in Lee, Richmond and Moore county.

Cwcook68

:gobble:

Went out Friday morning to Western Rowan co. to try any locate a gobbler with no luck , not even a peep. Went to southern Wilkes co. On Saturday to listen a bit , absolute beautiful morning crisp and cold hard frost on the ground and nothing couldn't believe it. I hope this warm spell will get things hopping, only 2 weeks till opening day.