turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dry Firing?

Started by Cutt, April 01, 2011, 06:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Is there any other way to safely dry fire my 11-87, to check my new trigger spring? Other than a empty shell or snap cap?

Don't have a empty at this time, as I leave them all at the range for whoever wants them? I realize I can wait till shooting next time, but would like to check it now? Is there any other way of dry firing, and do not want to disect an expensive Hevi shell. Thanks

WyoHunter

I doubt dry firing on an empty chamber will hurt your firing pin. Never been a problem with my Berettas or an old Rem 1100 Mag I had years ago. You could take out the trigger group and try it that also.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Cutt

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 01, 2011, 07:22:17 PM
I doubt dry firing on an empty chamber will hurt your firing pin. Never been a problem with my Berettas or an old Rem 1100 Mag I had years ago. You could take out the trigger group and try it that also.  :icon_thumright:

No I don't think it would hurt the pin either? I just always assumed you wanted something there where the pin hits to absorb the energy, as to not over-extend the pin assembly/ springs, etc, but not sure?

hookedspur

Quote from: Cutt on April 01, 2011, 06:49:26 PM
Is there any other way to safely dry fire my 11-87, to check my new trigger spring? Other than a empty shell or snap cap?

Don't have a empty at this time, as I leave them all at the range for whoever wants them? I realize I can wait till shooting next time, but would like to check it now? Is there any other way of dry firing, and do not want to disect an expensive Hevi shell. Thanks
[tm it wont hurt.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

SR1

It wont hurt it one bit to dry fire it.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

TScottW99

Will not hurt it.  I dry fire my firearms a lot.  Great way to practice your trigger work without the $$

Rimfires are another story though.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Hognutz

Dry firing will not hurt a centerfire. You don't want to dry fire a rimfire because the firing pin may hit the side of the chamber..Dry fire until your blue in the face..Mike :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

pitjeep

i use empty shells or snap caps. why risk it?

spur collector

it won't hurt it, dry firing a rimfire will cause some problems though.

Hognutz

There is no risk..Zero
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.