Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Not much but it's a start

Started by harleytom, March 24, 2016, 05:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

My first trip to Texas was plagued with rain/wind and close mouthed birds. On my last day I sat up to the edge of a sendero and placed my decoys on the other side. After shout an hour of light calling, 4 birds came running toward my setup. They went behind some brush about 100 yards from me and circled behind the decoys. I could only see their upper half as they periscoped above the cactus. I saw one had a beard and decided it was now or never. At 40 yards I let the 20 say hello and he bang flopped. When I got to him I was somewhat disappointed to see he was not much of a bird. He weighed 14 pounds, 6 & 1/4 inch beard and 1/2 inch spurs. He only scores 36.5 but I grateful to get a chance at one after the past few days. My first ever 20 gauge kill. I will post the (wet bird) pics later as I'm still trying to get everything dry and reorganized on my return to Bama. Hoping to have an upgrade later.

FullChoke

Man, We will take them any way we can get them. Congratulations on your gobbler and what sounds like a great shot. That was TSS, right?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg

We will take it! Congrats on the bird

harleytom

Full it was BigXL20 #9's and all I can say is "wow".

gophert

congrats!  I'm sure you will get an upgrade.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

xarcher

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

old frank