OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

anyone have experience with the funky chicken decoy?

Started by supremepredator, March 24, 2016, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supremepredator

I snagged one of these up at Wal-Mart last year for 5$ I hunt in north Alabama and decided to use it on opening day. Had 20+ hens fly down at first light, followed by 2 jakes and a Tom. Tom was struting profusely and hens were feeding. I had a cheep foam hen and the funky chicken out about 20 yards. The funky managed to break the 2 jakes off from the flock and they came in and looked at the decoy with a confused deminer. Shortly after they returned to the flock. I didn't kill a bird that day, but the decoy seemed to be effective in my area, at least on jakes. Any good experiences? I've seen toms beat the snot out of this decoy in videos. :newmascot:
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

g8rvet

I had a non dominant bird this year on opening day that wanted nothing to do with Da Funk.  He circled me and gobbled and strutted but stayed out 75+. After he left the field I slipped out and pulled it down and left the DSD hen. An hour later he came back to the field and came right in. My first time using it.  May have just been a very subordinate 2 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

sixbird

I've had really good results using one. Had gobblers (mature) open a can of whoop  on the poor little fella a number of times.
I guess there are circumstances where he might intimidate a gobbler, namely if the gobbler has been beat up on by jakes in the past.
I can't recall any that saw him and left...

TRG3

Any gobbler that I've seen that has spotted the Funky Chicken has come in as readily as it did to the Pretty Boy decoy. My last experience with it brought a hen from behind me, followed by a jake that attack the Funky Chicken and finally a mature tom, all coming within 10' of me. I took the mature bird as he watched the jake lash out at the chicken. My only mistake that morning was setting up so that I was shooting to the east and into the sun. From now on, I'll only hunt that location on a cloudy day!

870-Wingmaster

i mostly hunt woods and run and gun, so don't use decoys much, but on the last morning hunt of our OOS trip last year, i hunted a field and put a hen and the funky chicken out.  shortly after fly down, i flopped a 22lb bird with a 11" beard and 1 1/4" hooks.

jims

The price is right and the FC would be easy to pack around on long hikes.  I may have to try one out!

sixbird

An update on Funky Chicken...Had a bunch of them come in on him this year, again. Funny thing though, like a previous poster said, had one longbeard who was scared of him and wouldn't come in closer than 50 yds. Took him (Funky Chicken) down and after a time, found the reason for the gobblers' reluctance.
He returned and was about to unfold into full strut when four jakes came charging in and opened a can of whoop a$$ on him!
That was why he wouldn't come in the first time...
So, I've had good (mostly) and bad (a few) experiences with him...I'm sure I'd have the same result with any jake decoy. Mostly he's helpful...
I've come to the realization that it's probably a good idea to put him, or any male decoy away in later season since the likelihood of a gobbler being beat up by the little hoodlums is more probable latter in the season, esp. in a year when the jake population is high...

870FaceLift

My brother hunted with the FC this year and had great results.  He even had a grouse challenge it in WV.  We have it on video and it is hysterical
Pass it on...

Sevenyearsandcounting

Our area is pressured tremendously and decoys just don't bring the big boys in for us.

This year I tried the avianx breeder, feeder, an old foam full body Jake, a crap foam hen but the only one that worked was my dads 1974 Italian made hard plastic decoy.

IT LOOKS FAKE! But it's big bodies and has all the features and nubs and feather markings of a turkey. It was made for decoration since hunting was not really an option at that time for him. But once he could buy a turkey permit he did and used that decoy and scratched on his slate and a 22lb tom walks up to it and tried to mount it lol. He was so worried about shooting his decoy as it was pricey. But as soon as the tom started to stride away he dropped him at 9 paces.

all the new decoys we buy we use none. Including the FC. It's still in its box. Once this 30+ year decoy stops producing we will have to find another but that's not happened yet.

TRG3

I'm considering purchasing a second Funky Chicken and setting both of them up in a fighting position, face to face and neck to neck, and then using my fighting purrs box calls to see if that won't bring in a male bird. This could possibly be a good fall technique. I've had excellent response from toms in the spring using my gobble tube and thought this might be an effective fall approach. What do you think?

supremepredator

Quote from: TRG3 on May 29, 2016, 09:22:19 AM
I'm considering purchasing a second Funky Chicken and setting both of them up in a fighting position, face to face and neck to neck, and then using my fighting purrs box calls to see if that won't bring in a male bird. This could possibly be a good fall technique. I've had excellent response from toms in the spring using my gobble tube and thought this might be an effective fall approach. What do you think?
what ever floats your boat. Never be afraid to try new things.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

wvmntnhick

Quote from: supremepredator on June 01, 2016, 12:17:30 PM
That theory doesn't work all the time. I tried Brussel sprouts and loved them. Asparagus, not so much.

Dr Juice

Quote from: wvmntnhick on June 02, 2016, 08:21:43 AM
Quote from: supremepredator on June 01, 2016, 12:17:30 PM
That theory doesn't work all the time. I tried Brussel sprouts and loved them. Asparagus, not so much.
LMAO.
X2 - love those brussel sprouts, hate those asparagus.

All The Way!

TRG3

I've never tried to decoy Brussel sprout or asparagus, preferring to just purchase them in the local produce market. I'd be interested in learning more about this new approach to securing these elusive veggies, including any hints that involves broccoli and/or cauliflower.

Dr Juice

I'm standing by as well to learn more about securing the elusive broccoli and cauliflower :-)

All The Way!