turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Latex Color

Started by vabeardhunter, March 23, 2016, 03:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vabeardhunter

Sorry if this is an dumb question, but does the color of the latex have any affect on a diaphragm call? I don't make calls myself, but wondering if it has a bearing on the sound? Thanx

GED6531

Yes, for example .003 red and .003 clear make different sounds. Furthermore, .003 red from one manufacturer may have a different quality and sound than that from a different manufacturer. Making mouth calls can be a tricky game!

GobbleNut

It would be interesting to know what kind of quality control measures there are in latex manufacturing and how much variation can occur in individual 1"X2" rectangles of latex cut out of the same sheet.  I suspect the mixture formula for any "lot" of latex material probably is much more important than the dye used in that lot.  However, there is no doubt that some lots of latex material makes for better sounding turkey calls than other lots.  How much of that might be caused by the dye in the mixture?  I don't know. 

I'm not sure there is any latex made that is manufactured strictly for use in turkey calls.  I think we are basically taking a product that is made more other uses and applying it to our craft.  As such, I think every lot of material we use is more or less a crapshoot as to how well it is going to perform in a turkey call.

vabeardhunter

Been a little while since I first posted this question. Thank you to all that answered. I didn't think it would be that simple, should have known better with anything to do with turkeys lol I was hoping that there might be a chart or guideline to colors contributing to different tones (ex red .003 higher pitches, black .003 lower, more rasp) I don't make calls, so you'll have to excuse me if its not the smartest question.  :P Was asking more from a stand point of purchasing calls.

muddpuppi

Color can play a big part...for example...I can build 3 of the same calls with different color top reeds...grey red and yellow .004....and in that order the pitch goes up.....but most cases are going to be the cut and tension on a call...I can take grey and stretch a Lil tighter and make it sound the same as yellow stretched a Lil less....also every caller is going to sound different even running the same call

TRKYHTR

Different color in the latex changes the vibration characteristics of the latex of the same thickness.
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck