OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tell me a bit about Scratch Boxes???

Started by Marc, March 22, 2016, 04:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Can someone tell me about scratch boxes a bit?  What are the benefits (as compared to other calls) and what are some of the drawbacks?

How tough are they to use, and how versatile are they (i.e. yelps, clucks, purrs, etc.)?

They intrigue me a bit, and I have been considering making a purchase...  They also look like a call that could be made by hand a bit more easily than other calls (which is also appealing).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

KentuckyHeadhunter

They are versatile and deadly.  Once you master them you can really do anything you want.  They are small and don't sound like other calls the turkeys have heard.  They can be a real pain to make and tune sometimes so don't let their size fool you.  A lot of work goes into them to sound right and striker selection is critical also.  To start out get one from Mike at Spring Creek or one from SS custom.  Affordable and quality calls right there.  I also like Beardhunter's trash-mouth scratcher also because of ease of use and sound.  You could go down a long road to recovery from your other calls.  Several of us here have to have therapy for our scratch box addictions.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Dr Juice

My new scratch box is my crack! I need  :help:

Bowguy

I started w them just last season w the hope to just call in one bird. I got my wish/guts to try the morning I left all my strikers at home. Had some mouth calls n two SS scratchers. Decided Id try the scratch boxes. To my amazement it was very easy to get em to commit to gun range. Haven't been without at least a couple in my vest since and my collection has gotten a bit bigger. Love em

Spring Creek Calls

I love to use a scratch box on a bird that will not commit to any other call I have. Move to a different position or come back later/next day and get out the sweet scratcher. Has worked multiple times.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

gergg

What KentuckyHeadhunter said x2......They are deadly, and IF you get a good one, and learn how to play it, I believe they are the most realistic call there is. They are are bear to tune properly, and the striker is a critical piece of the puzzle. The cool thing is different strikers create a completely different sound. They are like any other call, it takes practice, but with a properly set up/tuned call they are very simple to run and very forgiving. I can make all of the calls on one, the kee-kee is probably the hardest. In my opinion, they make absolutely the best clucking/cutting/soft yelping of any call...period. I will say again though, not all scratch boxes are created equal. They are a blast to use too, I love the darn things, I hardly even use other calls now.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

TauntoHawk

I was curious last year, got a paduak butternut SS about 5 days before my season to see what they were all about. I took to playing them like a fish to water and called 2 birds opening day for friends. All said I used them for 5 dead birds through last season. I have 8 scratch boxes now

They are very easy to play, they can take a Certain nack but the concept is simple and they are very natural sounding. I think it's hard to over do it which can be a major plus. It's easy to cluck and yelp but it's not very natrual go off screaming with cutts and cackles although they are capable. I often I find that pot calls and mouth calling I can over call or get too aggressive without trying, but with scratch boxes I tend to slow down and keep it simple and it's improved by how the turkeys respond. I really like them first thing at fly down.

Butternut and cedar are great sound board options. SS is my first option as the size fits really well in my hand but another great one is L&L turkey calls makes a double sided cedar that is phenomenal sounding and has ribbons to prove it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Marc

Thank you guys!

Is there any particular aspect that they excel in or are lacking in compared to other types of calls (i.e. better at yelping worse at cutting, etc)?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

drenalinld

Spend time learning to run them and it's like having a horny hen in your shirt pocket. They cannot help you shoot.

Bowguy

I don't think they're lacking anything. Call SS n get one, you won't regret it. I've got a bunch n the Padauk butternut mentioned is one of my favorites. Great place to start

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Marc on March 24, 2016, 11:59:36 PM
Thank you guys!

Is there any particular aspect that they excel in or are lacking in compared to other types of calls (i.e. better at yelping worse at cutting, etc)?
Here's some if my favorite reasons.

Cheap, many are $20-35 you will not find better sound at that price for any other call other than being an excellent diaphragm caller.

They are small light and silent to transport, you can put them in your pocket, shirt pocket, or your vest.

I have a few that I would say produce the most realistic clucks and light to medium volume yelps up against any call I own. Last year I used a scratch box almost exclusively as my early morning roost and fly down call. I still love a box or loud pot call for locating but the scratch box will always have its place.

I got one to try last year, own 10 now lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SteelerFan

I never tried a scratch box until last year myself. From a rookie's point of view: think of a scratch box as a miniature box call without the lid attached. Instead of sliding a box call lid across the box, you'll be sliding the "box" across the striker (lid). Super fun call to carry in your pocket. Gobblers like it too...

Oh yeah, and watch these two vids by drenalinid. Speeds up the learning curve!  :icon_thumright:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4AXfdAa3KY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljyarOK1l30

Rapscallion Vermilion

I got turned on to them through this forum around February of last year and had to have one. Ordered a sapele and yellow cedar from SS Calls and practiced regularly until the season opened.  For me, soft to medium volume yelps, clucks and purrs were the easiest, in that order.  I found myself above a gobbling Merriam's at daybreak here in New Mexico and he completely ignored the first call I ran at him.  I had my new scratch box tucked in my shirt pocket, pulled it out and gave him some sweet yelps.  Boy did he light up.  Thirty minutes later I had my first bird of the year.  That sure made me a believer in these unique sounding little calls.

Ozark

RV thats a really cool picture. 
Question for you scratch box guys, Do you have a preferred wood for the scratch boxes?  I saw that SS has quite a few choices.
Ozark

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Ozark on March 31, 2016, 12:08:15 PM
RV thats a really cool picture. 
Question for you scratch box guys, Do you have a preferred wood for the scratch boxes?  I saw that SS has quite a few choices.
Ozark

The sound comes from the sound board and the striker, the front enclosed part of the call does not matter much other than looks generally speaking as long as its a fairly hard wood. I have been told this by several call makers so I am just sharing it. For the soundboard I have calls in 2x Butternut, 2X Cedar, Holly, Sapele, and mineral Poplar. If you look at the what was used in a lot of the ribbon winners at contests its either Butternut or Cedar. Butternut has a more medium pitch with that hollow body sound and cedar produces a higher sharper lively hen. That Said I love the Holly which seems to land in the middle of those two on sound. For strikers I have Walnut, Red Cedar, Purpleheart, Wenge, and Persimmon.

What I plan to carry to the woods this year are calls with butternut, Holly, cedar soundboards and the Purpleheart, Red cedar, Walnut Strikers.