OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Bad luck=No luck  (Read 2318 times)

Offline BigGobbler

• BigGobblerCalls
Bad luck=No luck
« on: March 21, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »
It was a tough week hunting so far, Friday night we had roosted two gobblers that were together,we arrived at our parking spot before anyone else saturday morning and walked for about 45 minutes and stalk in and set up about 50yds from the two gobblers that we had roosted the night before. We were there about 20 minutes and here comes two lights down through the woods we were like are you kidding we shined our lights to let them know we were there. They stopped and turned and went off to the right side of us somewhere. We were trying to figure out were they went to when down through the woods here comes another light We shined our lights to these hunters as well to let them know we were there also. They Turned and went the other way to the left of us so we thought. Well prime time finally arrived and there was 3 gobblers within hearing distance from us,The two we roosted and another one about 150 yds deeper into the swamp. I made a tree call and the two birds together hammered back. I hit them with another two yelps and they hammered back again and then the deeper gobbler let one rip. Well we were sitting good at this moment thinking our chances were pretty good we were going to get a shot at one of the three. My buddy said ok it's time to dance let um have it so I let a nice fly down cackle sing from my call. All three gobblers ripped back some music of there own. I hit them with a couple clucks and some cuts. That was all they could take and we heard wings flapping,they were down and they gobbled as soon as they hit the ground and were headed straight for us they made it about 20 yards and boom boom. We were like no freaking way. The first guys that we thought left the area had snuck in on us and never made a call and shot them two birds right out from under us. My buddy is fuming and is headed down the woods straight for the guys when the gobbler deeper in the swamp gobbles,he is closer now about 75 yds so my buddy stops and we both look for a good setup spot.
We set up and I made two clucks and he cut me off with a double gobble out about 50 yds and then boom. Before I could do anything my buddy jumps up and says that's it I'm freaking done lets get the freak out of here befor I do something I will regret later. I said hell no Im going over and say something to the person that shot that bird and let him know what kind of hunter he was. I walked up to the two guys and asked if they ever hunted turkeys before and they both said yes, I said back to them that maybe they should find someone to teach them some hunter ethics. They looked at me and said whys that, I said first of all you don't come in on someone like you did and shoot the gobbler that's coming to someone else's calling. The guys buddy looks at me and says its public land we can hunt anywhere we want. My buddy looks at me and says this is bullcrap these guys are  holes lets get out of here. So we walk back out to the truck and the other guys that shot the other two gobblers are at thier truck we see the gobblers on the tailgate and walk over take a look and two nice brother gobblers with matching 9 inch or so beards. I asked them if they had to call much to get them to come in, the one guy says no there was a hen behind us calling and the gobblers flew right down in front of them and started walking towards that hen.I looked at the guy and said yea she sure was a sexy sounding bitch wasn't she. My buddy looks over at me and starts laughing and we walk away shaking our heads.
Sunday I go out by myself to the same wma,I get there later than usually on purpose to find somewhere where nobody is hunting.I find a spot but hear no gobbles I set and called until 12:30 nothing but a couple hens come through. Today me and my buddy go back to the same wma public area we hunted Saturday but go to another spot where we heard gobbling during scouting we walk in for about an hour get set up and same old public land crap again here comes some lights down through the woods we signaled them we were there,they vear of to the side and go somewhere this happened two more times. We never even heard or seen anything today,gobbles,hens ,sexy hens lol,so we walked back out to the truck and went and had breakfast on the way home. Thats Florida public land I'm almost amune to it,it happens so often it's expected.
There was a guy from Arizona that was trying to get his Osceola to finish his slam that was expericing the same situations I was and also had a bird shot from under him.I did not get his name or if he was a old gobbler member but I wish him best of luck and hope he gets his Osceola. I just wish I did not haft to work the rest of the week or I would of taken him to some my spots that hold birds on another wma.
 Thats my year so far somehow someway it will get better I hope. I Hope everyone is having a better start to there season than me,good luck to everyone and hang in there spend enough time in the woods and it will happen.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
Re: Bad luck=No luck
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:20:23 AM »
That's tough. Any time I setup on a bird on public land and see someone else coming I make sure they see me and make sure they see me moving toward the bird in hopes they don't try to circle around me, that's if I feel there is anyway I can get closer without getting busted.

Offline spurman

• In Memorial
  • Double Beard
  • LM NRA. DAV, KYANG
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 09:53:33 AM »
Hunting public land sure is fun isn't it. Rick they do the same thing around here. You get a gobbling bird and they will try to get between you and the bird or call him away from you. Absolutely no ethics or manners, what ever you want to call it. It is bad enough when it happens accidently but no excuse when done on purpose. We had a turkey shot out from under us on private land last spring.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Bad luck=No luck
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 07:56:46 PM »
I feel your pain. Been there many times myself. Keep after it and don't get down. Persistence pays off and you will get yours. Fortunately the part timers and slobs tucker out fairly quickly. Pulling  for ya.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline kevin2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 06:07:12 PM »
I had 13 lights in front of me last year on opening day. Only 4 hunters have permission. Called the CO an hour before sun up, but by the time he arrived, the hunt was ruined. Private land. Hunters came from every direction. Left a bad taste in my mouth last year. Still not fully over it. The land owner is to  busy to mess with such shenanigans. The CO wasn't able to do much, as the hunters were mostly in fo the morning by the time he arrived. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:43:29 PM by kevin2 »
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Bad luck=No luck
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 07:36:55 PM »
That stinks and I sure do know how it feels to have a gobbler shot from your setup. I had a yahoo one year get between me and the bird, and did not make a peep because I was the caller. BOOM! That was all she wrote. Good luck to you brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Charley B

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 11:19:28 AM »
Man, this is not cool! Maby you should try the sheriff spot ;)