Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

The last few yards with a trumpet

Started by Terry, March 21, 2016, 07:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

How do you guys handle calling with a trumpet when the tom is getting close, but still needs coaxing? I have always been a diaphragm call guy, so having to use my hands to call when they're close and be ready with my gun is new to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

merocustomcalls

Terry what I do is keep my shotgun to my shoulder and drape that call up and over top of the gun stock.  I will softly play the call just one handed and basically do soft clucks if the bird is close.

savduck

I usually work them close then switch to mouth call to finish them
Georgia Boy

alloutdoors

I shoot right handed so my gun is up on my knees with my left hand in shooting position. I have the stock on my shoulder and my right hand reaches below the stock to control the trumpet. I play the trumpet with one hand, mostly just doing soft clucks. From there I can drop the trumpet at any point (it's on a lanyard) and reach my hand up to the trigger, the little bit of motion is hidden behind my knees. Usually though, when they are that close I've already stopped calling well before that point.

Terry

Thanks for the replies. It's my goal to solely use a trumpet to kill a tom this season. I am working on one handed calling now.

jbrown

I do what Del said. I aways have my mouth call just in case I need it for a few soft clucks. Finish with 1 hand if its trumpet only. Great advice guys!