OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

xtrema 2 Problems...

Started by Longshanks, April 01, 2011, 02:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Shooting a 24 in barrel xtrema.  Tried three chokes: PG .670, Kicks .670, Primos .660.  Shooting Hevi 13 6's and 7's.  The only decent pattern i could get at 40yds is with the Hevi 6's.  Shooting with a rest but the problem is the POI keeps changing and the pattern is different every time.  I have a couple of other Beretta shotguns and have never had one this difficult to get a decent pattern.  Anyone have any idea why this particular shotgun is so problematic. 

pullit

when you say "the problem is the POI keeps changing " what type of sight/sights are you using?
The "pattern is different every time" what do you mean? Different how?

goblr77

He must mean the POI is changing with the different chokes? .668-.675 exit diameter is the sweet spot in a 26" barrel on these guns. Don't know about the 24" though. I haven't tried a PG .670 but would think this choke would smoke with Hevi 2.25 oz #7's. First off, deep clean the barrel and see if the numbers pick up. If your POI is changing between shots it could mean your magazine cap isn't tight. If you plan on shooting one of the chokes you have go with the one that has the closest POI. Numbers don't mean a thing if you can't hit where you're aiming. Listed below are some numbers I got with various chokes in a 26" barrel Xtrema shooting 2.25oz #7's. All were 10" circles at a lasered 40 yds. Hope this helps.

Indian Creek .665- 254
Indian Creek .675 w/o wad catchers- 282
Trulock .668 non-ported- 266
Hevishot .671-331

Longshanks

Shooting the JH .660 with the hevi 6's,, 4 shots have completely different results.  Two patterns were vey tight with most of the shot in the middle and shot scattered around it and two of them looked like i had shot just a lead 6..even pattern but fairly spread out.  I shot high once, low once, and two patterns were fairly on.  This was shooting off of a rest with double bead on barrel.

Longshanks

The POI with PG .670 and Kicks .670 were good but the patterns with h-13 6's and 7's were so open that shooting a turkey at 40yds would be questionable.  I guess this is baffling me because my Urika 2 with a PG .670 shoots h13 6's and 7's incredibly.  The bore diameter of these two guns is not extremely different and there is only a couple of inches difference in the barrel.

goblr77

The Jellyhead .660 is too tight for the .733 bore. That's why your patterns are blowing out. I can't explain your POI issues on consecutive shots unless your choke is loose or the magazine cap isn't tight. Yesterday, I patterned a friend's older Xtrema with a 24" barrel and a Xtema 2 with a 26" barrel using the same choke and Hevi 2.25 oz 7's (lot 300514). The choke was a Trulock Precision Hunter ported .668. I didn't count numbers in the circles but the 26" barrel did visibly perform better than the 24". Just guessing, the 24" still probably put up 230+ though. Both of these guns have had a bunch of steel shot run through them and the bores have NEVER been cleaned. A good scrubbing would have brought the numbers up where they should be.

beagler

I just recently purchased a new Beretta Xtrema II for my dad. It has a 26" barrel, I didn't even know they make a 24" barrel. I searched my catalogs and only found 26"+ barrels on the Xtrema II's.
Anyway my dad doesn't have any POI issues shooting an IC tube. I also have a Rhino for it we haven't tried. I know the barrel is slightly overbored on the Xtrema's.
Never Misses

goblr77

Beagler, I'm sure your Dad will enjoy his Xtrema II. Those are fine shotguns. What construction IC choke do you have and what loads are you running through it?

Longshanks

Took my gun apart and put it back together and the POI seems to ok now with the JH .660 choke.  Your right about that choke being too tight because my patterns are miss shapened more than the POI is off. The patterns just are different everytime.  The Kicks .670 and the PG .670 did not pattern the Hevi 13 6's well and i only have three 7's left to hunt with out of my Urika.  Any ideas on where i can find some 2.25 7's.  Guess im gonna buy the hevi shot choke..

goblr77

You will not be disappointed with the Hevishot choke in this gun. Mack's Prarie Wings had this choke and plenty of the 2.25oz #7's on the shelf when I was there last week.

Longshanks

Would .671 be the correct diameter for the extrema??

Longshanks

Just ordered a Hevi 13 choke .671 and some 3.5/ 2.25/ 7's.  Hoping this will be the deal.  Have two chokes to sell now.  JH .660 and Kicks .670.   Anyone having success with a particular type of sight for this gun that doesnt require drilling??

beagler

Shooting an  IC .665 and Nitro H517T's.
Never Misses

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Longshanks on April 03, 2011, 05:46:24 PM
Just ordered a Hevi 13 choke .671 and some 3.5/ 2.25/ 7's.  Hoping this will be the deal.  Have two chokes to sell now.  JH .660 and Kicks .670.   Anyone having success with a particular type of sight for this gun that doesnt require drilling??

The Truglo "Pro Series" works exceptionally well. It's all metal, fully adjustable and holds its zero. I use them on several guns. Most larger stores sell them. Your should take the TG944C.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Longshanks

Thanks, hopefully i can shoot with double beads but if the POI suffers i will bolt some on.  Actually i have a set that will fit..might as well bolt them on :z-guntootsmiley: