OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Too close!!  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Big perm2

Too close!!
« on: March 19, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »
Well after not getting to hunting opening day I knew this morning  was gonna be the morning!! Rewind to last Tuesday, I found a bird gobbling but wasn't hot, he gobbled just a couple times that morning and shut up.. Wensday through Friday morning he fired up!!  Saturday morning finally got here,I was up extra early and in the wide open woods, standing on an old logging road texting a few friends and waiting on 6:30(that's usually when he has been firing up) to get here to see how close I have made it in his bedroom. I knew about what ridge he was on cause of the previous morning scouting trips. When 6:30 rolled around the woods started waking up and then he fires off!! He is 25 yrds behind me in a small pine tree!! My heart sank!! All I could do is keep that pine between me and him and take 3 steps back and just sit down no gloves or mask on and couldn't even put a call in my mouth. After 20 mins of him gobbling and me sitting there uncomfortable wondering what he is fixing to do, I see him start to get jumpy, I know he is fixn to pitch down, when he pitches down he flies straight at me. I had to shoulder my gun and lean back, he lands 3 feet infront of and I squeeze off round 1 and miss!! The turkey takes 3 steps and I pump another round in and squeeze found 2 off,another miss!!! Then by this time he is in full sprint down the hill and I could not swing around for shot 3!! And watch him fly off into the sunrise!!

Talkem into given up!!!

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Too close!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 11:06:49 PM »
Damn son! I would probably popped him while he was flying down directly at me. Then again, I might have crapped my pants too lol. 

I bet he crapped himself getting shot at on fly down.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Too close!!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 11:06:52 PM »
Next time take a butterfly net and leave that 10 ga in the truck :-)

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Too close!!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 11:22:36 PM »
Man! miss or not, it sounds like an amazing hunt!

Offline jepcho

• The Boss Gobbler
Too close!!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 09:34:05 AM »
Crazy! Bummer to have one that close like that and not be able to connect, but either way that is a great story and an exciting fun hunt! What an experience! You'll get him next time.

Offline Gumby

• The Boss Gobbler
Too close!!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 09:34:30 AM »
Been there! Surely a hunt you will not soon forget. Always tough to miss a bird but he will be in the same area again

Offline Big perm2

Too close!!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 11:12:36 AM »
I know yall have probly seen this one but it sums up my Saturday morning hunt!!

Talkem into given up!!!