OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Browning Bps 10 update need help bad!!!!!  (Read 6122 times)

Offline Big 10

Browning Bps 10 update need help bad!!!!!
« on: March 18, 2016, 09:13:55 PM »
Ok I purchased a Rhino .720 choke to shoot hevishot magblends.They told me on the phone I should get 280+not sure if they said 10"or 12"? Anyway I shot it twice @40 yrds first time 203 2nd time 200 in 10.With that being said I've tried several choke tubes.The best being a NEF factory turkey choke,exit diameter .720 got 250 in 10@40 2nd best Indian creek .710 232 and 240@40.
 Jebs .695,680 and kicks.720,.690 not even close.Does anyone know of someone I can talk too about this barrel.Its 24"I'm getting in over my head with ammo cost and choke tubes.Jebs is refunding my money super nice guy just can't find anything that will work with my 10 gauge.

Offline I hate turkeys

Re: Browning Bps 10 update need help bad!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 12:27:49 AM »
That's a dead bird.
To set your mind at rest get a turkey head and neck target and see just how many hits your getting.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

Offline I hate turkeys

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 12:36:21 AM »
One other thing, check the post on deep cleaning your barrel
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

Offline Mike Honcho

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 09:33:21 AM »
Your NEF and the Indian Creek aren't  doing too bad, certainly more than enough to effectively  kill turkeys at 40 yds.

Offline mathews bowhunter

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 05:41:28 AM »
Why are you so torn up over 250? Sounds to me like you need to sell all your other chokes and be done with it. I have a NEF 10 with a 24" barrel I could not get to shoot for anything. Polished bore, had forcing cone lengthened, choke after choke after choke after choke after choke. The next choke I bought went in a 12 gauge. Hell I couldn't get over 120 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. I was told to get fed hw 7's. Well guess what, they're a joke in that gun too. Now that I've discovered tss, I shoot a 20. That hefty 10 sits in the safe!!!

Moral of the story, if you can't kill a bird putting 220-250 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards, you might as well give it up.

Just my $.02

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 11:31:39 AM »
250 ish to 270 is about as high as your ever gonna go with the magblends , that being said they are a awesome , consistent, and affordable turkey killing load

Mag lends have a higher concentration of LARGER hevishot  pelets , than of the Nitro triplex offerings - nitros get higher pellet counts but the bulk of that is of #7 and even smaller size pellets

I've seen some of the the nitro smaller size into pellets break a hole in paper but couldn't even break out the other side of the cardboard backer holding the target , those #8 and #9 hevishot "pixie dust " is pretty much useless at 40 yards

I would STRONGLY recommend the federal #7 hw , people here have good results with it through a kicks 690 -- yes they shoot lower numbers but the pellets pack a whollop
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 12:41:42 AM »
The only nitro load I've ever shot was out of a 10. I believe it was a 3oz load of #5s. It was a joke. It was also the worst I've ever been jarred by a 3.5" load out of a 10 or 12. I'm not sure how the hull stayed together. They're over pressured IMO. Never again I said and never again has it happened. Spend a about 200 bucks for reloading supplies and get some tss for that 10. Yes, it's "pixie dust" but 8.5's running 1200 fps will penetrate 26 gauge roofing tin. If that's not bad enough for you, shoot a load of copper plated #5's at it running between 1200-1250 fps and at a piece of the same gauge tin. It dents it pretty good, but won't penetrate it. I've done that, so I can confirm.  My 2.5oz 10 gauge load of 7 tss thru a kicks 690 put up 263 in the 10 at 43 yards. Yes, I'd shoot a turkey that far.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 11:03:04 PM »
The best nitro load I ever used was their 2.25 ounce hevishot #5 through a rhino .685 it shot reasonable numbers but with big #5 pellets , I killed scores of birds with it

I Had shot box loads of the so called 3 ounce nitro load , yes it was a very hot load ......felt like a car wreck when it went off , I'm willing to bet they are over Sami spec , not trying to divert attention away from the pressure , but numerous factory loads are reported to be over Sami spec , but back to the the nitrous ....their hot, everyone knows it

Nitro ammo pioneered performance turkey loads,, long before it became fashionable --  there's some folks out there reloading that don't miss a opportunity to take a jab at them or any other ammo company anytime the opportunity arises ,

About 10 + years ago Nitro started to really take off with the use of hevishot , but in time the big ammo
companies started to wake up to the turkey ammo business and started to produce competitive loads , some even better IMO than nitros , I would in my opinion consider the Magblends a better alternative that the nitros ,even if the magblends shoot slightly lower numbers , the magblends are affordable, available , and over the long run likely more consistent . Like previously mentioned the triplex intros will have a abundance of 7 and smaller 12 gg hevishot , mag lends have more larger pellets

I would have no problem using the nitros , but I found a cheap , consistent alternative , and that's the federal #7 hw honking out at 1300 fps .....I have over 2 cases of it , I'll never have to buy ammo for my turkey gun ever again its shoots good and tight , and will bop a turkey out further than I am willing to even consider reasonable

-Shannon

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 11:04:40 PM »
Ok I purchased a Rhino .720 choke to shoot hevishot magblends.They told me on the phone I should get 280+not sure if they said 10"or 12"? Anyway I shot it twice @40 yrds first time 203 2nd time 200 in 10.With that being said I've tried several choke tubes.The best being a NEF factory turkey choke,exit diameter .720 got 250 in 10@40 2nd best Indian creek .710 232 and 240@40.
 Jebs .695,680 and kicks.720,.690 not even close.Does anyone know of someone I can talk too about this barrel.Its 24"I'm getting in over my head with ammo cost and choke tubes.Jebs is refunding my money super nice guy just can't find anything that will work with my 10 gauge.
clean that bore down ....no oil ....mirror smooth , you'll notice a improvement in the in numbers

-Shannon

Offline grizholder@aol.com

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 08:39:21 PM »
Let me know if u want to sell the 695 jebs

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 09:54:37 PM »
clean that bore down ....no oil ....mirror smooth , you'll notice a improvement in the in numbers

Some guns are finicky and don't like a smooth bore. I have two that like dirty bores. I've compared one of them three years in a row because it don't make sense...