OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Strut Stoppers story thread  (Read 9149 times)

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • God bless, and happy hunting!
Re: Strut Stoppers story thread
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 11:19:34 AM »
Congrats Deerbasshunter3, you done a number on his head!!!

I would say he looks pretty good to have been shot twice! Either way, he is a dead bird, and that's what counts.

Offline Dmason3

Strut Stoppers story thread
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 09:44:05 PM »
Awesome story. Love hearing em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 09:17:15 AM »
Congrats Deerbasshunter3, you done a number on his head!!!

I would say he looks pretty good to have been shot twice! Either way, he is a dead bird, and that's what counts.

That's what I'm talking about!!
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline RIStrutStopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »
Didn't get it done today. Had a bird gobbling his head off on the roost. He flew down and kept hammering. He was hung up for about an hour on the opposite side of the field out of sight. I was able to coax him in to about 50 yards but he was definitely skittish.

That bird was wary. As soon as I put my finger on the trigger he was gone. I mean I didn't even see him run. It was like the ground swallowed him up. That was all the action I had this morning. Will try to get out tomorrow. I did see a bunch of osceolas down in Orlando earlier in the week driving around town, reminded me that I'd rather be hunting than visiting the mouse. Oh well, you do what you gotta do.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 05:44:26 PM by RIStrutStopper »

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 08:44:08 AM »
That sucks about the bird. Maybe you can still get him. How much time do you have left? I'm assuming with not a lot of people on here that their season is done or they're hunting.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 02:52:38 PM »
My season ended May 1st. Been hearing birds ever since. Ha
Loving God's Creation!

Offline RIStrutStopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2016, 04:51:26 PM »
It's personal now. Went back to the farm today, had what I believe to be the same bird gobbling his head off on the roost. This time, I set up in the woods beside the field about 60-70 yards from the roost. He stayed on that roost a long time. I saw him fly down towards the field off to the right. I kept at it and I caught him moving through the woods across the farm road from where I was sitting. He was about 35-40 yards directly to my right. He was starting to head straight ahead which would have put him behind me. I clucked a few times, got a gobble out of him and turned him around. I lost him in the woods, but he was heading towards my decoy. I waited quite a while knowing this bird moves slow and cautiously. Nothing.

I then moved to the field. The field was empty, I set up a couple of yards behind where I was on Saturday. This position let me see more of the field because it was a bit higher. As soon as I clucked a few times, I see him move into the opposite end of the field. He moved kitty corner way behind my decoy and I lost him over a rise. Again, I was patient. I thought he might be gone, but I stayed put anyway. Then I see him stretch his wings. I bided my time, but at some point he had gone. Tried locating birds for a while longer then called it quits.

I did get out on Sunday too, different property (no gun hunting in CT on Sunday). Didn't hear or see anything. I'm hoping to get out again on Saturday. I think the season runs until next Friday, so hopefully I'll get out a couple more times.

Offline RIStrutStopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2016, 04:52:57 PM »
Nothing much today. Didn't hear any gobbling at first so I set up on the field. Almost immediately, 3 hens entered back end of the field and made their way to me. Had one lookout hen at 35 yards and the other 2 came within 15 yards at one point. Heard a little gobbling off in the distance while they were there but I sat tight. Heard 2 shots in the distance too. Didn't hear or see anything else today. Probably have one more chance at this next week, don't think I'm going to get out tomorrow.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 01:01:28 PM »
Dang they're giving you a fit. Don't know how much time you have left but hope you get him.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2016, 08:56:24 AM »
Good luck RIStrutStopper! Hope you take one down soon!
Loving God's Creation!

Offline RIStrutStopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2016, 09:14:34 PM »
Sorry guys, I'm throwing in the towel. Went to the same farm today, heard a couple gobbles off in the distance and that's it. Now if this was a doe contest I would have scored a few points today, but it is what it is. Tomorrow is the last day of the season, but I'm not going to make it out. Tag soup for me this year, not for lack of birds though. 1 second of hesitation and blew the only shot I had this season at a longbeard.

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • God bless, and happy hunting!
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2016, 04:44:41 PM »
It seems like it was a tough season for a lot of people this year. We saw very few birds on our property. I also heard from somebody in the upstate that people were seeing/hearing very few birds.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2016, 08:12:22 AM »
Definitely a slow year for me and a lot of my buddies down here. Birds were gobblin 3 weeks after the season closed. Stayed with hens all year. It was a very strange year for sure.
Loving God's Creation!