OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what does a pattern look like if it has TOO much constriction?

Started by Lon0121, April 01, 2011, 12:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lon0121

Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Lon0121 on April 01, 2011, 12:50:43 PM
1 7/8 oz

Well those were the better shooting Nitro loads from Rem.  They actually shot a lot better than teh 2oz Rem Nitro loads.  Have you tried that same load in the 6's.  I used to shoot them out of my 870 and it was one ofthe better shooting lead # 6 loads.  

Lon0121

no i didnt try the 6's of the same load but was thinking about it!

the winchester loads i have shot were all sor horrible though!  i shot the grey box of wins no 5 shot 1 7/8 oz and it was absolutely horrid pattern!  then the win HV no 6 patterned bad too!

i was thinking of either win HV no 5' or the remmy nitro 6's!

maybe my gun doesnt like winnys??

like i said i have a 660 jellyhead coming in the mail!  what load would work best in it?     do my patterns seem tight?
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

ILIKEHEVI-13

That Win load don't look bad for a 1.75oz load.  Actually I studied those patterns and the 5's look good.  But the 6's appear to have more hits, but it might not be as evenly distributed as those 5's. 

You might want to try the Win Supreme 3" 2oz #6 loads. 

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=740968&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D740961%26type%3Dproduct&WTz_l=YMAL%3BBC%3BIK-213712

I would say that Jelly Head choke should shoot better than that Carlsons choke.  I may be wrong, but you have got the idea of playing around with loads and chokes. 

Lon0121

Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

ILIKEHEVI-13

Make sure you shoot big pieces of paper or cardboard when patterning your gun.  Also make you a poa circle like you did on the ones earlier you posted.  Then draw your 10" circle around the densest portion of shot.  

Do this.  Try those #6 loads through that Jelly Head choke and post your results here.  

Lon0121

Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteAnd it's hard to get the patterns out of 5 shot that you could get out of 6's.

With Lead, I've seen #5's outshoot #6's before.  Or sometimes the numbers were close, but the 5's would have a more even pattern than the 6's.  Unless there is a 20 pellet advantage in the pattern on paper, give me 5's over 6's.

If most of your shots are around 30 Yards or less, try High Brass #7.5 Lead.  You may get much better patterns with #7.5, and it likes to be choked tight.