OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what does a pattern look like if it has TOO much constriction?

Started by Lon0121, April 01, 2011, 12:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lon0121

Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

ILIKEHEVI-13

Holey and I don't mean Holy!   :toothy12:

I should mention that choke geometry plays a great part in how a choke will shoot as well.  I never have shot a .643 Tru-Glo SSX in my Rem barrel and they say that they work well.  But from what I have found shooting chokes like Hastings .640 is that they work pretty good with lead turkey loads but when you shoot htl loads through them they are too tight of choke to provide even and consistent patterns.  You want a nice even 10" and 20" pattern when shooting turkey loads with as few of holes as possible.  That's why most chokes from .655 to .675 in most standard 12GA barrel shotguns will work the best typically with a nice distrubution of shot.  When you see a holey pattern, you will see a lot of gaps in your pattern between the shot.  I wished I had one to show you, but this should help.  

Lon0121

does this look like a too tight choke/load combo!
no 5 rem nitro no 5's    carlsons 660 choke  mossy 500

http://img857.imageshack.us/i/002snd.jpg/
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I need to know the distance, and to answer your question you would really have to have a .655 or .665 choke on hand so you can see firsthand for yourself.  But tell me the distance.  I'm guessing that is 40yds.  If so, you may need to go tighter. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And it's hard to get the patterns out of 5 shot that you could get out of 6's. 

Lon0121

yep at forty yards....
heres an undertaker choke tube at 665 dia with the same load at 40 yards

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/001gfh.jpg/
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

Lon0121

heres at 40 yds with the carlson 660 choke and win HV no 6's

http://img38.imageshack.us/i/001ati.jpg/

the undertaker was such a bad pattern it looked like a factory full choke pattern!   didnt take picture
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

ILIKEHEVI-13

I will tell you that the Winchester shotshells will typically out pattern the Remington loads.  Those 5's may like a .665 choke.  But like I said you will have to play to be sure.  That is the best way you will know for sure.  That patten is definately holey. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Let me put them up here visually side by side if I can so I can give you my thoughts.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Ok out of them two patterns the 2nd one is a lot better which is what I was thinking when you said #5's which will typically like a little more open of choke.  

Don't worry about the shot in the circle that you probably drew beforehand.  Look at the shot in the 2nd one below the circle.  Much better overall pattern and that is about center of your pattern too. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now this is your 6 shot load.

Let's compare.  What size load were the Rem Nitros?  I'm guessing they were 2oz loads am I correct?

Lon0121

so second picture...below the circle i drew is the best pattern???

im getting a jellyhead 660 in the mail in a day or so,  what size shot patterns best in this dia choke?  unfortunately i cant use hevi for now.
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

Lon0121

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 01, 2011, 12:46:53 PM
Now this is your 6 shot load.

Let's compare.  What size load were the Rem Nitros?  I'm guessing they were 2oz loads am I correct?

no the wins were 1 3/4    3"
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

ILIKEHEVI-13

Yes I know the Win High Velocity were 1.75oz loads.  Wht were teh Rem Nitros?  They were 2oz correct? 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Double post sorry.