Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

New optics for my scattergun

Started by RutnNStrutn, March 17, 2016, 04:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

After last year's fiasco where my old scope finally gave up the ghost after 20 years, I replaced it with a Truglo green dot scope. That piece of garbage Trujunk didn't even make it through the season. It cost me one gobbler and almost a second. Needless to say that hunk of Trujunk went right back to Cabelas!!
This year I dropped some money and got a Trijicon Dual Illumination RMR (Rugged Miniature Reflex) scope. It uses trijicon for low light, fiber optics for good light, is Trijicon tough, and the company guarantees it will hold up to the recoil of my 3-1/2" magnum turkey loads.
Here are some pics of it. Next season I need to send in my scattergun for a fresh dip job. Any recommendations for a place in central Florida?

TrackeySauresRex

Time to get that dialed in Captain Bro-TatoChip!    :funnyturkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RutnNStrutn

Did that a few days ago Teddy Brosevelt!!! ;D
She's ready to schwack some gobblers!!! :fud: :OGani:

TrackeySauresRex

^^^ BahhhhhhAhhhhhHaHaHaHa! We're on the same page Brother! Lolol!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Twowithone

Awesome Trijican has a good rep out there in the optics world. Good pick there R&S. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Deputy 14

Dr Juice

Awesome set up. I'm sure it is patterning well. Good luck and lay it to 'em.

Mountainburd

Yep they're awesome optics.  I think you'll be pleased. 

Dr Juice

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 17, 2016, 04:08:02 PM
After last year's fiasco where my old scope finally gave up the ghost after 20 years, I replaced it with a Truglo green dot scope. That piece of garbage Trujunk didn't even make it through the season. It cost me one gobbler and almost a second. Needless to say that hunk of Trujunk went right back to Cabelas!!
This year I dropped some money and got a Trijicon Dual Illumination RMR (Rugged Miniature Reflex) scope. It uses trijicon for low light, fiber optics for good light, is Trijicon tough, and the company guarantees it will hold up to the recoil of my 3-1/2" magnum turkey loads.
Here are some pics of it. Next season I need to send in my scattergun for a fresh dip job. Any recommendations for a place in central Florida?

Hello RutnNStrutn. How are you making out with the barrel mount? My cuz has an SP-10 and we cannot locate a saddle mount for it so he can mount a scope. However, He is reluctant to drill and tap it. Therefore, he may have to resort to a similar setup to yours which looks impressive. Is it sturdy? Can you acquire the target easily with the red dot so out front of you? Any guidance and help you can provide me will be appreciated. Thanx brother - Murph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildSpur

Great move. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: WildSpur on April 02, 2016, 12:36:05 PMGreat move.
So far, so good. I like it! :icon_thumright:

Quote from: mlisandro on March 24, 2016, 05:51:33 PMHello RutnNStrutn. How are you making out with the barrel mount? My cuz has an SP-10 and we cannot locate a saddle mount for it so he can mount a scope. However, He is reluctant to drill and tap it. Therefore, he may have to resort to a similar setup to yours which looks impressive. Is it sturdy? Can you acquire the target easily with the red dot so out front of you? Any guidance and help you can provide me will be appreciated. Thanx brother - Murph.
Murph, I've used the barrel mount for over 20 years. When I was younger, I wanted optics but only had 1 shotgun at the time. I used my scattergun for ducks, deer, turkey and small game. I had an old Tasco pistol scope with long eye relief that didn't let in enough light for deer hunting, and the original modified barrel that came with the 870 sitting in my safe, not being used. I'd already bought a Remchoke barrel to replace the original modified one. So I decided to cut down the barrel and have it tapped for my chokes, and mount the scope on the vent rib of the barrel. I rubber banded the scope to the barrel to get the right location for the mount. Then I took it to a machine shop and had them do the work. So I had a dedicated turkey barrel that was always sighted in, and allowed me to use my 870 for other hunts as well. I used it for years with no problems, then I upgraded to an 870 super mag.
I had the same set up done on the turkey barrel I bought for the super mag. I used that for years as well, until last year the old pistol scope gave up the ghost while sighting in with Longbeards. I replaced it a Truglo green dot scope, which turned out to be a piece of junk. So for this season I'm using the Trijicon Dual Illumination RMR. I spoke to the shop at Trijicon, and they assured me that the barrel mount would be fine, and that their scope would hold up to the recoil of a 3-1/2" magnum turkey load. The guy said he has the same scope on his turkey gun, although his is mounted on the receiver. So far, so good. I've only sighted it in at the range, and shot those 2 gobblers, so not many rounds through it. But over the last 20 years between trying new load/choke combos, and hunting, I've shot hundreds of rounds through that set up.
If a crappy, old, cheap Tasco pistol scope could last nearly 20 years, I'm sure this Trijicon will last me until I can no longer turkey hunt. A friend of mine recommended the Trijicon Dual Illuminatin RMR scope. He's had it on his scattergun for years and had no problems.
What I like about it is that you can use your scattergun for other types of hunting, and have a sighted in scoped turkey barrel too. In the field it gives you a great field of view, along with easy target acquisition. You can even shoot with both eyes open if you like. Tell your cousin not to sweat it. It's a great set up. Very sturdy too. Just make sure you go with a quality scope. That Trujunk hunk of garbage last year cost me one bird, and almost two!!