Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best way to remove rust from turkey gun?

Started by Kyfoster11, April 01, 2011, 08:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyfoster11

Well my brother needs to take better care of his guns but Im trying  to help him out.  He didnt oil his gun good and its got some rust on the barrel and receiver. 
I was wondering if there is anyway to remove the rust from the gun without scratching or removing the finish from the gun?

thanks
rkf

pullit

I am guessing that it is a blue gun (not camo). If so get you some 0000 steel wool and some oil. Get the steel wool wet with oil and buff the rust. It will remove the rust and not hurt the blue/matte finish as long as you don't go nuts and scub in one spot for a long time.

Kyfoster11

Thanks alot man.....I figured steel wool but wasnt sure how fine.

thanks again
rkf

goblr77

If the blueing is damaged from the rust you can touch it up with Brownells Dicropan T-4 or Oxpho-Blue. Both work great.

decoykrvr

It's hard to find, but if you can find bronze wool in a 000 or 0000 configuration it's easier on the remaining blueing than steel wool.  Bronze wool is softer than the blueing or finish, will remove the rust, and doesn't leave any steel residue which can, in turn, rust and compound the problem.
Check w/ Brownells or a good Ace Hardware, the big boxes don't carry it.
Craig

allaboutshooting

I'd second that recommendation for Bronze or Brass Wool.  The procedure I prefer is to disassemble the gun, spray very liberally with WD-40 and let it set for maybe a couple of hours, spray again and then using the 0000 wool, very lightly wipe it down. See how that did and then repeat the process as many times as necessary with liberal amounts of WD-40 and very light wiping with the wool. It works without ruining the finish.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Kyle Williams

I have always used Stainless Steel wool.  You can get it from Brownells or go to you local "Dollar" store and look in the kitchen cleaner section.  Looks like stainless machining shavings.
:policeman: Kyle Williams :policeman:

stinkpickle

I hate turkeys

The edge of a penny. No kidding I use it to touch up.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

hookedspur

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 01, 2011, 10:11:50 AM
I'd second that recommendation for Bronze or Brass Wool.  The procedure I prefer is to disassemble the gun, spray very liberally with WD-40 and let it set for maybe a couple of hours, spray again and then using the 0000 wool, very lightly wipe it down. See how that did and then repeat the process as many times as necessary with liberal amounts of WD-40 and very light wiping with the wool. It works without ruining the finish.

Thanks,
Clark
:agreed:  :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

dpowers311

search utube for blue wonder. I think it is the 2nd video that shows them using the product. There is also a paste that I hae used to clean rust spots off of a barrel.

Dave

mrlongbeard

Quote from: dpowers311 on April 03, 2011, 08:52:47 AM
search utube for blue wonder. I think it is the 2nd video that shows them using the product. There is also a paste that I hae used to clean rust spots off of a barrel.

Dave
Blue Wonder works great