turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeards pattern to tight?

Started by Browning4140, March 13, 2016, 10:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

This is JMO. There not for me. They leave little room for error. I like the supremes.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

dzsmith

a different choke can help with that, no reason to ditch the shells.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

turkey buster

The purpose of long beards are to offer a denser pattern at 30-40 yards than other lead loads. In return your closer ranges are tighter.

You have 2 options here.
1) use some type of optic or adjustable aight if your poi is off or
2) use regular lead loads

If you want that dense 40 yards pattern it's going to come at a cost. No sense of opening up your choke to shoot a less dense pattern when you can just buy a load that already does that

dzsmith

Quote from: turkey buster on April 11, 2016, 06:27:17 PM
The purpose of long beards are to offer a denser pattern at 30-40 yards than other lead loads. In return your closer ranges are tighter.

You have 2 options here.
1) use some type of optic or adjustable aight if your poi is off or
2) use regular lead loads

If you want that dense 40 yards pattern it's going to come at a cost. No sense of opening up your choke to shoot a less dense pattern when you can just buy a load that already does that

my sumtoy throws a fair pattern at 40 of about 8 inches, and still puts over 200 pellets in 10" at 40 yards....you absolutely can have the best of both worlds. in a 3 " gun with a 21" barrel at that. it is possible. and this is with a super tight choke 655

turkey buster

I shoot a 21in barrel 870 with JH .665 and 3in #5's. My 10in at 40 is 150-170 and my 20 and in is a softball. But I have rifled sights on the barre

dzsmith

I meant reasonable spread at 20 not 40.