turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeards pattern to tight?

Started by Browning4140, March 13, 2016, 10:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning4140

So I have tried the new long beard shells out of a 835 using both a Kicks Gobblin Thunder (.685) and also a Bass Pro Black Out (.675) chokes. The patterns are unreal at 40yds with both chokes putting 238 pellets in a 10" circle @ 40yds. So for kicks and giggles I shot it at 20yds. and all but 19 pellets landed in a 10" circle. It almost looked like a slug with about a handful of pellets around it. So this for me to thinking, is this too tight? I can see where this would be a great shell for some long range but what if your turkey shows up 20 yds or less?
What are some other good non HTL shells that pattern well out to 40yds as well as not to tight?

Thanks in advance for any helped

Bowguy

BandedSpur

Best I have tried in the 12 ga are Winch Gray Box 6s, averaging 132/10 @40 (3" 1.875 oz - Rem 1187, 26" barrel, IC .665), while maintaining reasonable pattern width in close.

Tom Foolery

I'm pretty sure it was Win Supreme 3.5" 6's I shot at 20yds and I think I had all but 10-15 pellets in a 10" circle.  At 40yds it would run 135-150

At 20yds they're all tight.

stinkpickle

Yeah, you want to try your shells with the factory choke, instead.  None of my 835 chokes squeeze past .690, and they are PLENTY tight.  I'd much rather open up that pattern.

Gtown78

I have tried them and they are way to tight through a turkey choke. I like the Federal shells through a modified or full choke. Maybe try the Longbeards through your full and see how they do.

wmn2

I shoot mine through a .665 carlson's and at 20 yards it will take a birds head clean off. I'll try to get pictures up. It looks like a slug hole just below the turkeys head.

BDeal

I was shooting the LB's through my Winchester SX2 and Carlson Longbeard XR choke and they were ridiculously tight at 20 and under. It was a slug hole with a couple of fliers around it. I switched to a Wrights #1 .670 and there is a huge difference. More room for error at 20 and under (although I would sill like it to be a little more open) and outstanding patterns with #5 and #6 out to 40 yards. I didn't shoot it at 50 but plan to see what that looks like just to know.

eddie234

My 20 yard shot is about the size of your fist. I have fiber optic sights on my gun so if he gets too close I won't have a issue. I guess it depends on how close your gonna let him get before you shoot.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

BDeal

I wonder how a Carlson's extended .680 would do with these...

The Woodsman

The Woodsman

turkey buster

I have rifled sights on my rig and I've killed a few pretty close. 8 steps and under with long beards.