OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Anyone here hunt with an 835 or have one laying around?

Started by wvmntnhick, March 13, 2016, 10:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

I'm looking for a different choke. Need either the factory full or extra full. Looking for that .695-.710 range choke. Figured I'd ask here before I bought a new one online.

cmadams

I know I got a choke laying around somewhere kicks I think?

Clif Owen

I have a factory x-full if you need one. Pretty sure I have a full but not sure where it is.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: cmadams on March 13, 2016, 10:53:24 PM
I know I got a choke laying around somewhere kicks I think?

If you can find out what the constriction is, I'd be willing to buy the thing if it's not too tight.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Clif Owen on March 13, 2016, 10:58:51 PM
I have a factory x-full if you need one. Pretty sure I have a full but not sure where it is.

Heck yes I need one. Lol. Shoot me a price and we'll get it worked out. If you can find one of them or both, just let me know.

Clif Owen

I found the x-full. What I need from you is...an address. I'm almost positive it's never been used so I have no idea what size shot shoots best through it though. I put a Pure Gold in the gun as soon as I bought it.

cmadams

Couldn't find the kick but I did find moss xf ported  and a 675?

wvmntnhick

Quote from: cmadams on March 14, 2016, 07:43:12 PM
Couldn't find the kick but I did find moss xf ported  and a 675?

Thanks man. That 675 will likely be way too tight. Clif found an x-full as well and was generous enough to make an offer I couldn't refuse. If you happen to find either a standard full or improved modified, I'm all over them. My LGS usually has them laying around in the drawers in the back. Now that I need one, they've got nothing.

snapper1982

wvmntnhick

I know I'm about to catch some grief for this but... TSS. After talking to a couple fellas, they're using the factory full and x-full chokes that came with the 835. The heavy wad and Mylar wrap apparently eliminates the contact with the choke tube. If it doesn't work out, I'll be looking to buy an aftermarket tube.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 15, 2016, 04:29:21 PM
I know I'm about to catch some grief for this but... TSS. After talking to a couple fellas, they're using the factory full and x-full chokes that came with the 835. The heavy wad and Mylar wrap apparently eliminates the contact with the choke tube. If it doesn't work out, I'll be looking to buy an aftermarket tube.

I guess I need to spend more time on the shotgun thread. What's the grief over TSS for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on March 15, 2016, 07:27:54 PM

I guess I need to spend more time on the shotgun thread. What's the grief over TSS for?

The shot itself, nothing. Tons of people frown on the idea of using the factory choke for this type of shot. Seems people think if the choke isn't a $90 aftermarket choke, it's not worthy of TSS shot. Personally, for what I'm blowing just to get into this game, I'm hoping to save a few dollars in this department. If it doesn't work, I'm contacting William at sumtoy. Unless, I can find a good used one around the .710 range.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 15, 2016, 08:46:38 PM
Quote from: anthonyjhallen on March 15, 2016, 07:27:54 PM

The shot itself, nothing. Tons of people frown on the idea of using the factory choke for this type of shot. Seems people think if the choke isn't a $90 aftermarket choke, it's not worthy of TSS shot. Personally, for what I'm blowing just to get into this game, I'm hoping to save a few dollars in this department. If it doesn't work, I'm contacting William at sumtoy. Unless, I can find a good used one around the .710 range.

.710 seems a little too open to me or is it because of the mossberg and its overbored barrel?  Or does TSS need to be opened up?  Like I said I used to live on the shotgun board but haven't been there much since this TSS really took off.

wvmntnhick

It's a combination of the two actually. You can find super tight chokes for the 835 but they generally aren't the best choice for the most part. The backbored barrel can lead to issues with tight chokes at times. Having said that, TSS apparently doesn't require a lot of choke to perform well in the 835 based on what others have said. Lots of guys seem to be using 710-720's rather consistently. Seems we use too much choke quite often. I know I had to open things up a bit when using the fed HW in my 20 ga. Had to open up a bit for the hevi shot in my sx2 as well.

honker22

I've been shooting TSS for years... never tried a choke that wouldn't kill a bird easily at 40.  But my best patterns have been with more open chokes.  I've got one set up with a factory full, the other 2 are choked slightly more than factory full.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.