OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: West Virginia  (Read 6435 times)

Offline firedup

West Virginia
« on: March 13, 2016, 11:09:09 AM »
Hearing a few in southern part of state.  Sporadic. Not intense yet. 

Offline skridge

Re: West Virginia
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 12:49:41 PM »
Had a buddy tell me they were gobbling at a thunderstorm the other night down here in southern part of the state.

Offline redmag

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 09:28:52 AM »
Here in the Eastern Panhandle (Hardy Co.) I have not heard a bird.  I have been out 4 mornings.  Saw one fly from roost at about 8:00 and about 4 in a field but too far to tell what they were.  I see sign but none have yelled.

Offline longbeards

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:03:13 PM »
 :happy0064:
Heard one gobble the last 3 mornings here in
Hardy.. Not gobbling hard!

Online WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
West Virginia
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 11:13:31 PM »

Here in the Eastern Panhandle (Hardy Co.) I have not heard a bird.  I have been out 4 mornings.  Saw one fly from roost at about 8:00 and about 4 in a field but too far to tell what they were.  I see sign but none have yelled.

Hope all is well with you and the bride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline redmag

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 08:06:33 AM »
WVRR,  We are doing ok.  Looking at places in Berkeley, this may be the summer of all goes well that we move.  Hope all is well with you.

Offline teke

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 07:04:36 PM »
Have not heard or seen one in northern panhandle

Offline redmag

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »
I have been several mornings and I have only heard a bird gobble 2 times.  I have been seeing groups of hens.  This AM I saw 8 hens together, a group of 4 gobblers and a single gobbler in a field but not a word from the boys.

Offline Cdk2357

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 09:31:04 AM »
Two different gobblers this morning in Putnam county, gobbled hard on roost, few times after fly down, glad season is in a week earlier this year, seems like an early spring in this part of WV this year

Online WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
West Virginia
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »
Heard two this am gobbling on roost,shut down after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline longbeard11

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Grunt, Gobble, & Gills Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 04:28:19 PM »
We are right on schedule. Birds are still heavily flocked up from what I can tell. Saw a lone gobbler strutting yesterday around 9:00am and then today saw a big flock, probably 10-12 hens a strutter and 2 other longbeards with them around 2:30 this afternoon. Everyone I am talking to is seeing big flocks too still, the breakup has not occurred yet which is good. Some breeding being done that we have seen, very little gobbling after fly down. Right on schedule to hit it wide open on the 18th, should be a great season

Offline TKE921

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
It has been awful in the part of Mon county I am hunting.  Hardly any gobbling at all.  Have even seen birds and called to them and they would not respond.  Usually they are tearing the woods down here the first week.  :OGturkeyhead:

Offline longbeard11

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Grunt, Gobble, & Gills Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 04:28:44 PM »
Spring fell late this year, so therefore birds are a bit behind too. Meaning ALOT of mature birds still having hens with them. The best hunting is ahead of us as those hens start to nest and leave boys lonely up in the mid morning killing hours!

Elevation plays a part in this too, as well as spring weather patterns. Some years u hit it wide open first week, and some u are a little bit behind. Just depends. I can't complain though as I have been on birds every day I have been afield. But I have also heard a ton of other birds that had hens. So I'm really looking forward to the late season and getting on them then

Offline redmag

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 05:02:35 PM »
     I also think spring is late here in Hardy Co.  I have hunted in VA and WV since 8 April and honestly have not heard a bird gobble.  I killed one in VA as I just called blindly and he popped up over a hill and strutted close to 100 yds to me.  He never gobbled once.  My brother saw a gobbler walk by him out of range and paid no attention to his call.   I have seen a few hens though.  Good luck to all.

Offline redmag

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »
Woke up a $ AM and it was raining like pouring you know hat out of a boot.  At 5:30 still raining, finally slowed up enough around &:00 so I put on rain gear and went.  I was just off the edge of a field when suddenly he appeared from my right and within range.  I was calling ever once in a while but he didn't gobble before wandering past.  He was alone.  He had a fair number of dandelion tops in him.