OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I'm not usually a decoy guy, but...  (Read 4960 times)

Offline Ozark870Hunter

I'm not usually a decoy guy, but...
« on: March 13, 2016, 09:57:26 AM »
I want to take my first gobbler with a bow. And the consensus is that decoys make it a lot easier. I have previously only used a foam flex hen. I have a hub style blind, and I picked up the Xtreme half-strut jake. My question is, if I were going to pair it with a hen, which one should I get if I'm getting just one? A breeder, or a feeder? 
Ty for any help.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Re: I'm not usually a decoy guy, but...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 06:44:39 PM »
Get a feeder over a breeder. You can see it in more set-ups then a breeder. I've been using a feeder in the spring and fall for a couple years and the hens always go to the feeder to kick butt.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 07:11:02 PM »
I always go with the DSD "upright" hen first, So here's the deal. The hen can be used by herself or paired with jake, you are also able to "short" stake the hen as a breeding hen and use her with the jake decoy, I leave enough room between them so a tom can 1) deal with the jake or 2) pay attention to the lady (hen). When bowhunting we are placing the jake at 10-12 yards and then hen about 4-5 feet from him, the jake is the closest decoy to us and they are set to your strong side, * the hen when set up as a breeding hen is set for quartering away shot, the tom will only walk on her back from one way (tail end) and this allows a bowhunter to shoot above the drumstick and into the vitals. We have had a lot of success with this setup, Dead Bird!

MK M GOBL

Offline Ozark870Hunter

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 11:43:25 AM »
I always go with the DSD "upright" hen first, So here's the deal. The hen can be used by herself or paired with jake, you are also able to "short" stake the hen as a breeding hen and use her with the jake decoy, I leave enough room between them so a tom can 1) deal with the jake or 2) pay attention to the lady (hen). When bowhunting we are placing the jake at 10-12 yards and then hen about 4-5 feet from him, the jake is the closest decoy to us and they are set to your strong side, * the hen when set up as a breeding hen is set for quartering away shot, the tom will only walk on her back from one way (tail end) and this allows a bowhunter to shoot above the drumstick and into the vitals. We have had a lot of success with this setup, Dead Bird!

MK M GOBL
This is what i was looking for. Great info!
Picked up an Avian X breeder which is similar to the upright pose. I can use it by itself, or on a stake with the half-strut jake, or I can put it on the ground without the stake in the breeding position.
Thanks for the replies.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:30:04 PM »

MK M GOBL
This is what i was looking for. Great info!
Picked up an Avian X breeder which is similar to the upright pose. I can use it by itself, or on a stake with the half-strut jake, or I can put it on the ground without the stake in the breeding position.
Thanks for the replies.

Glad it helped!

One thing you may want to do is use a "short" stake when you put it on the ground, decoys can roll with out it. an old fiberglass fence post, arrow or the like will work. If that tom should happen to jump on her back :)

MK M GOBL

Offline steinb3rg

I'm not usually a decoy guy, but...
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 09:51:48 PM »
The only bow harvest I've had so far was with three decoys. A jake about 15 yds from me, an upright hen about 10 ft past it, and a feeder at about 25 yds in the plot. The tom came straight in and proceeded to kick the jakes a** presenting me with a great shot.