OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SBE 2 & truglo SSX choke  (Read 5596 times)

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
SBE 2 & truglo SSX choke
« on: March 13, 2016, 07:19:34 AM »
Anyone have any experience/pictures of how good or bad a SBE2 & a Truglo SSX works? Any input would be appreciated!!!

Offline The Woodsman

Re: SBE 2 & truglo SSX choke
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 11:28:32 AM »
Where is the pattern picture?

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 02:37:48 PM »
Where is the pattern picture?
Thats what im askin' for....

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:42:53 PM »
Here's a couple of splatter targets I shot last week at a (laser measured) 40 yard patterning board with my Benelli SBE II and a SSX .643 choke tube. The SSX throws a pretty & even pattern. I've killed many turkeys with this combination.   It really likes the Hevi #6s & #7s, but I shot some copper plated lead just to do it. Dead bird no matter what.  I will caution you to add a lot of choke lube before you put the tube in.  Mine got rained on hard a few seasons ago & was a PITA to get out because I hadn't laid a thick coating down first.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 10:57:20 PM »
Mine SBE II set up with a Burris FF II (That I love).  Never missed a bird or had to shoot at one a second time since I added it to the gun. My Benelli shot high out of the box, so that Fast Fire in the Speed Bead mount really helps. The SSX choke has a super tight pattern in close and it could be easy to miss with.  It also really makes a mess of gobbler's heads at close range. Just sayin'.

Jim

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
Mine SBE II set up with a Burris FF II (That I love).  Never missed a bird or had to shoot at one a second time since I added it to the gun. My Benelli shot high out of the box, so that Fast Fire in the Speed Bead mount really helps. The SSX choke has a super tight pattern in close and it could be easy to miss with.  It also really makes a mess of gobbler's heads at close range. Just sayin'.

Jim
I added a FF3 to my SBE 2 I've yet to shoot it but I believe it will be more of a help than hinderance. I'm partial to Federal Heavyweight #7 shot....what all loads have you patterened with this set-up?

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 05:48:39 PM »
3", 2 ounce of Hevi #6s, and  Hevi #7s shoot great! (My SBE likes both though it doesn't shoot the Mag Blends worth a flip for some reason).

Winchester Supreme 3" 1&3/4oz. of #6s do O.K.. The red hull 3" 2 ounce loads of #6's shoot better.  I haven't tried the Longbeards yet, because what would be the point?  It already throws a fine pattern with the Hevi shot and the Supremes.

It doesn't like the Federal Flitecontrol wads because the constriction is too tight and the patterns are just wildly erratic for me to mess with. The old lead Federal plain lead Strut Stopper 1&7/8 oz. of #6s do good enough (but not as even as the Winchesters). The (pre Flitecontrol) Federal 3" #6's shot great, but I ran out of them a few years ago.

It refuses to shoot anything Remington well & I tried #4's, #5's, and #6's with multiple choke constrictions.  I don't know what's going on there, but there's already a few good options to go with. Somebody whose gun shoots Remingtons well can have my share.

I hope this helps.

Jim

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 05:15:58 PM »
3", 2 ounce of Hevi #6s, and  Hevi #7s shoot great! (My SBE likes both though it doesn't shoot the Mag Blends worth a flip for some reason).

Winchester Supreme 3" 1&3/4oz. of #6s do O.K.. The red hull 3" 2 ounce loads of #6's shoot better.  I haven't tried the Longbeards yet, because what would be the point?  It already throws a fine pattern with the Hevi shot and the Supremes.

It doesn't like the Federal Flitecontrol wads because the constriction is too tight and the patterns are just wildly erratic for me to mess with. The old lead Federal plain lead Strut Stopper 1&7/8 oz. of #6s do good enough (but not as even as the Winchesters). The (pre Flitecontrol) Federal 3" #6's shot great, but I ran out of them a few years ago.

It refuses to shoot anything Remington well & I tried #4's, #5's, and #6's with multiple choke constrictions.  I don't know what's going on there, but there's already a few good options to go with. Somebody whose gun shoots Remingtons well can have my share.

I hope this helps.

Jim
Thanks alot for the info. I plan on trying the Win.LB the reasoning....the material that keeps the shot together is supposed to be the cats meow....and may very well be worth you trying.But,thanks for the info!!!