turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Impressed with Federal Premium #5

Started by agent eight seven O, March 12, 2016, 07:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent eight seven O

Had some good weather to shoot Federal Premium #5 magnums with flight control wad. Shot with 11-87 26" barrel. Used factory full choke and they put up numbers I usually get with other shells and super full chokes. I'm really liking these.

bigbird

cluck

Would like to hear more about your good patterns. how far did you shoot, and how many shot in ten inch's, what size shot. Was it a twenty gauge? I'm interested.   cluck

agent eight seven O

These were 12 ga. 3" #5 Federal Premium with flight control wad. Range of 30 yards. 160 in ten inch circle with even coverage. Actually was hoping for a more open pattern. Might try modified choke.

surehuntsalot

I keep telling guys, everybody hates the Federal shells and the flite control wads, but if they would use a more open choke and not try and choke the shell to death, might open some eyes.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

howl

That 2oz #5 load accounted for quite a few birds for me from a couple different guns.

WillowRidgeCalls

Quote from: agent eight seven O on March 14, 2016, 08:50:55 AM
These were 12 ga. 3" #5 Federal Premium with flight control wad. Range of 30 yards. 160 in ten inch circle with even coverage. Actually was hoping for a more open pattern. Might try modified choke.
If you'd switch to the Fed 6's it would open the pattern a little more. The 4 and 5 shoot about the same pattern, but the 6's shoot a better open pattern from 10 to 40 yards. using a full choke.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott