OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: This is funny.  (Read 3155 times)

Offline anthonyjhallen

• Longbeard
This is funny.
« on: March 12, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »
http://www.realtree.com/turkey-blog-with-steve-hickoff/video-michael-pitts-on-fanning-turkeys

This is funny. I have no problems with fanning but can see this guys frustrations sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline snapper1982

• Longbeard
Re: This is funny.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 02:48:35 PM »
The guy is an idiot who thinks that the only way to hunt is what he thinks is the right way.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 03:51:59 PM »
I'm just waiting for his honest opinion.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 07:03:45 PM »
It is kind-of humorous, assuming at least part of it is tongue-in-cheek. 
I do have to laugh a bit at the guy who condemns fanning,...while in the meantime he hunts out of a pop-up blind on a private turkey farm, over a food plot, with the latest and greatest $300 full-strut decoy stuck in the ground,....all the while calling like a constipated chicken,...and then when a gobbler shows up and he shoots it, he somehow thinks it was his calling skills that killed the bird. 
 ....But, but, but,...the guy that uses a fan is an unethical, no-turkey-huntin' cheater!....Gimmee a break, Francis!
             :toothy12: ;D ;D ;D ;D :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: ;D ;D ;D ;D :toothy12:

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 07:23:48 PM »
I'd like to try the fanning once but not here. Rifles are allowed and I'm a bit concerned about getting shot. Last year was one of the first I can recall that we didn't have any turkey hunting accidents. Someone gets shot in the state of WV almost every year. Couple years ago a guy shot his partners son as he was calling and sneaking through some brush. It's a matter of target recognition and for some reason, it's lost on some people. That keeps me from trying it at all. It'd be cool to be that close to a bird though.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »
I agree totally that there are serious safety considerations that come into play with using a fan,...or any other visual turkey aid for that matter.  However, I have yet to hear of a single hunting accident associated directly with someone using a fan,....may have happened, but I haven't heard of it. 

The bottom line is that a guy holding a turkey fan, or wing, or whatever, still looks like a guy holding a fan/wing/whatever.  There is no excuse for somebody shooting somebody else in a hunting accident like that,...and in my opinion, someone that does that is just as likely to shoot at someone calling like a turkey, or even just walking through the woods.

Granted, that doesn't mean a whole lot to the guy that gets shot, but personally, I think there are ways for each of us to avoid putting ourselves in dangerous situations.  Common sense goes a long way in these regards. 

Offline snapper1982

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 10:24:37 PM »
I agree totally that there are serious safety considerations that come into play with using a fan,...or any other visual turkey aid for that matter.  However, I have yet to hear of a single hunting accident associated directly with someone using a fan,....may have happened, but I haven't heard of it. 

The bottom line is that a guy holding a turkey fan, or wing, or whatever, still looks like a guy holding a fan/wing/whatever.  There is no excuse for somebody shooting somebody else in a hunting accident like that,...and in my opinion, someone that does that is just as likely to shoot at someone calling like a turkey, or even just walking through the woods.

Granted, that doesn't mean a whole lot to the guy that gets shot, but personally, I think there are ways for each of us to avoid putting ourselves in dangerous situations.  Common sense goes a long way in these regards.
supposedly there was an accident that involved the owner of a big time trapping supplier. If not mistaken it was MTP supply. Now i do not have solid facts and i got it from an internet forum so it very well could be false.

With that said there has been more people shot while simply sitting against a tree and using a turkey call than there has been while fanning. If the guys who talk down about fanning actually believe the BS they spew about saftey then they should also not ever use a call or even walk in the woods during a hunting season.

Every animal hunted has vast changes in the way the animal is hunted. If you do not agree with a form of hunting that is ok but to out right act like and say it is the wrong way to hunt just because you do not like it and you dont think others should be allowed is asinine! Who is one person or even a group of people to tell another person how they should hunt( obviously within the legal parameters)

To make fanning illegal would be ignorant for many reasons but mostly because, to allow it to be made illegal solely on a belief of saftey without any supporting evidence would certainly open up possibilties of other ways of hunting to be made illegal that has proven saftey issues. Where would it stop? No calls? No walking during shooting hours? No treestands? how bout making cars illegal because of all the auto accidents. Bottom line we should not make something illegal and take away an individual's right to choose based on assumptions and the want of a few people who think their way is the best way.     

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 10:45:12 PM »
Right on, Snapper!

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 08:36:32 AM »
I just want to be clear, I'm not against the idea. I just look at the number of incidents in the state of WV and it astounds me. Every year (practically) someone gets shot with a rifle or peppered with a shotgun. If we were in a shotgun only state, I'd be all over it. The only thing that frightens me is the guy that's never killed a bird, sees one at 200 yards across the field and blasts away. If I'm directly behind it, I could be in some trouble. At some point, when I feel comfortable enough to "think" I'm alone, I fully plan to give it a shot. I'll agree with every statement posted above. If that's how someone wants to hunt them, have at it. I'd love to try it myself. Just wish people were more aware of their surroundings.

Offline anthonyjhallen

• Longbeard
This is funny.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 09:14:16 AM »
If I am honest I will say that at one time I was totally against fanning. I felt like people were cheating themselves out of a more rewarding experience.  Upon further investigation into the subject I quickly found that it doesn't always happen like you see on TV. In fact the few times I have used a fan the birds have mostly paid little to no attention at all.

I carry a fan in my vest. I don't rely on it but it is there as yet another option, and when it works it's can be very very exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk