OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Talk me out of buying a 10...  (Read 10474 times)

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
Re: Talk me out of buying a 10...
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 11:18:42 AM »
How about this. A buddy sent me this pic recently of his Mossberg 500 20 ga with indian creek .555 with 22 inch barrel. That is 293 TSS 9 shot at 40 in a 10inch circle. No pain, no weight and the gun can probably be had for $200.
hmmm...pm me.
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »
Hmmm. Not for me, but my nephew may want it.  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline pdugas

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 03:49:40 PM »
Thank You Honcho

Online 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 04:33:46 PM »

YEEOUCH!!! You should sell me all your guns that may or may not hurt you... :camohat:

Lol I don't even use my 12's any more! I got a sweet shooting 20 and I'm more then content with it. 12 gauge with 3 1/2" for me was like beyond bearable hot sauce. Served no point (for me) and couldn't even enjoy it if I wanted to.

I've never shot a 10g but i don't think I want to lol
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »
Chicks dig big bruises ;)

Offline Gobbler2577

Talk me out of buying a 10...
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »
Aside from the weight there's no reason not to get one.  Recoil is less than a 12 with 3.5" shells.  I've been using a ten for years and can't imagine using anything else.  They don't kill any better and for that matter patterns today are just as good with a smaller gun, but if you want one, get it.  It'll be fun.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 11:56:58 PM »
Why would you do that to yourself???!!! I had one, a single shot Pardner (NEF). Shot Nitro 3 1/2". If I recall correctly the payload was 3 oz., maybe a tad more...MY GOD, I wondered who was getting the worst end of the deal, me or the turkey! Recoil and muzzle blast were horrendous! The  shells were expensive and the thing weighed a TON!
Patterns were off the charts but man, did I pay every time I unleashed that beast!

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 10:00:32 AM »
Do it!  I have a NE single shot and love it!

Offline taylorjones20

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 10:33:23 AM »
I've been on the lookout for a Browning Gold 10 Gauge.  A couple of my buddies have them and the recoil isn't bad.  I really like it for duck hunting! 
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Offline jed clampett

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 01:54:23 PM »
I have a bps 10 ga...i use it for goose hunting and it has less recoil on my shoulder than a sbe 2 with 3.5 in turkey loads...that sbe 2 kicked my butt...i bought a new 835 with the Mathews harmonic dampener in the stock and I love it..doesn't kick near as hard as the sbe now my bps is not camo,ed but I have thought it would make a great turkey gun...love the roar of the ten

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »
I own a Big 10, the Browning BPS 24" barrel "Stalker". I bought it new in 2001. It is a very effective turkey killing machine. The downside is they are really HEAVY. If you don't mind the weight then go for it. I also like the ROAR of the Big Ten. :icon_thumright:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline steveo

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 07:33:21 PM »
Nope I won't ! If ya want it get it, I love mine.....

Offline redmag

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 05:32:09 PM »
     If you gotta have one, get it, I did.  I can tell you sixbird's post is right on the money with his NEF 10 experience.  I had one for about 5 years and shot the "hot" shells from Nitro Co.  It ate birds and targets up as well as my shoulder.  It was heavy even with the weight out of the stock, I remember killing a bird one morning and when I jumped up to run to the bird I thought I had dislocated my shoulder and I actually stopped in my tracks from the pain.  I sold it and went back to my 870.  Good luck.

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 11:10:26 AM »
If ya gotta have one............ya gotta have one.

I bought a BPS 10 the second year they were out.  Had the cone done, barrel shortened to 23 1/2", re-threaded and a Comp-N-Choke tube run in the end.  Geraldine, as I call her, is just BEYOND freak nasty...............at both ends.  Patterns like a total monster with the old 2 oz Winchester Supreme HV #6's.  The recoil is all a function of fit.  My boy shoots it and loves it.  It is BY FAR the worst recoiling gun I have ever shot in my life.  But Geraldine and me have sent a pickup load of turkeys to the grave over the years............ a longbed pickup.    ;D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 09:54:05 AM »
It depends how you hunt. If you like to sit around a field in a blind to hide any movement in front of a decoy spread then a 10 gauge might be alright.
If you don't hunt blinds the 10 gauge is extremely heavy and most guys cannot hold it up in position still for more than a few minutes which can be a problem when a turkey takes his time approaching or you have to wait for a good shot. 3 extra pounds feels like a ton when you are holding it up waiting for a shot on a bird. You don't need a 10 gauge to kill a turkey if you are calling them in a 12 gauge will do just fine.  A 10 gauge will cost you more turkeys than it will allow you to kill that would not be killed cleanly with a 12 gauge. The loads available for the 10 gauge are also limited and more expensive compared to a 12.  They don't make 10 gauges in the USA anymore so if you need a part it may be harder to find or take more time to get here.  If you buy a good used SP-10 I doubt you would need any parts for it though, they are built like a tank. 

On recoil, a 10 gauge does kick hard but not nearly as hard as a 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge. The weight does absorb a lot of recoil and spreads it out over a longer period of time.