turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Presses

Started by Bowguy, March 12, 2016, 03:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Posted earlier in wromg section I believe. Looking to make some mouth calls for personal use. Who makes a good press? One I won't have to upgrade from n where would I get material? Not looking to take anyone's business, personal use only

GobbleNut

Not trying to discourage you from getting a press if you want to go that route, but you really don't need one,...especially if you are just making calls for yourself.

Bowguy

I'd want to consistantly make the same calls actually sound the same do I want perfection or at least as close as I can get. I don't even care how I get there but want the calls consistant

GobbleNut

I will admit I haven't bought a bunch of calls in recent years since I now make my own, so I don't know if things have changed much in the last few years.  Perhaps, the variables that affect call consistency have been mastered enough by some call makers that they can produce call after call that sounds the same.  If that is the case, it is a very recent phenomenon. 

I will say that the idea that an individual that makes calls without and press cannot control the variables that affect sound well enough such that they cannot produce consistent-sounding calls has not been born-out through my personal experience.  It is very possible to make very consistent-sounding calls without using a press/meters. 

bangbird

I've been making my own calls for about 8 years now and have never looked back.  Best thing I ever did.  I have a press.

I was in a store the other day and was just looking at some mouth calls (I have not bought one in years).  I compared 5 of the exact same call and none of them looked the same.  Not even close really, and no way they would be consistent from one to the other. It was from a well known call manufacture (I won't say) and was one of those "Signature" calls.  I wondered if the "Signature" caller who claims to be building them, really is building them.

perrytrails

Quote from: bangbird on March 15, 2016, 04:10:32 PM
I've been making my own calls for about 8 years now and have never looked back.  Best thing I ever did.  I have a press.

I was in a store the other day and was just looking at some mouth calls (I have not bought one in years).  I compared 5 of the exact same call and none of them looked the same.  Not even close really, and no way they would be consistent from one to the other. It was from a well known call manufacture (I won't say) and was one of those "Signature" calls.  I wondered if the "Signature" caller who claims to be building them, really is building them.

I started making my own for the same reasons. I was using a "signature " call from one of the top call makers.

Those mouth calls were $15 each. For several years I swore by them. For hygiene reasons I didn't mind trashing a call after a season, maybe 2.

Anyway I ordered 2 calls, basically $40 with shipping. Tape cut was way off on one, reeds were sagging, wrinkled on the other.

Now I realize after making my own they won't all come out perfect, but for $15 each there was no excuse.

I gave them a chance to make it right, emailed and called, no reply.

I bought a press, it wasn't cheap, I don't regret it one bit. Money well spent in my opinion.

Thad Bright at Feather Ridge makes a great press.

Lonehowl

What he said^^^^^^^

Otdrzman

A couple years ago I got a press and tape cutter from Thad. I have really enjoyed making my own calls. I sometimes wish I would have gotten a different style cut on the cutter. I got the standard cut i guess you could say. I end up trimming them up some to fit me better. He will make whatever cut you like.

GED6531

I have a press from Thad Bright at Feather Ridge as well. It is quite and investment, so if you are serious about making calls, go for it! I have the competition press that has the tension gauge and tab bender, which I am glad I got because I probably would have upgraded by now if I just had the standard press. I love mine and I make calls all year round just to try different cuts, stretches, latex combos, etc. Making my own mouth calls has personally become one of my favorite hobbies and it is very rewarding when you make one and kill a turkey using it.

Bowguy

Thanks guys, sounds like a press it is n the competition sounds best. Gotta scratch up some money n give it a whirl