News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Central PA Gobbling Report

Started by HFultzjr, March 11, 2016, 09:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catclr

First week wrap-up----

Beside last Sat., when did have a Gobbler gobble on the ground, this past week reminds me of a number of years ago, when spent a week in NY, and the only gobbling we heard, was on the tree, and once they flew down, nothing. That was the whole week. Even Sat.5/7/16, went where was lot's of gobbling on the tree, and set up, and did some calling, and nothing. On the way out on the same logging road I walked in on, came across fresh scratching, looked like three or four birds. I was set up with in about 100 yds. where the scratch was.

Update----Forgot that on Tues. past week, did hear a bird after 10 am. till 11:30 am., as then I shot a coyote at 11:50 am.

HFultzjr

catclr,

My week was almost the opposite. Except for the 1st day, I have not heard a bird until later in the morning. Go figure. Lots of sign, but very little gobbling, even far away. This Sat., I didn't hear a bird until about 11:00.....way up above me and one gobble. I think I might try a little higher next week. Although it was nice sitting in a blind while it rained in the morning......LOL.

crow

heard a faint gobble at 6:15, 2 times @ 3 minutes apart, across to roads and some private ground
nothing close, I covered ground and set up for sneak in toms, called in 1 hunter but he stopped at a property line

mid morning got 2 fired up by cutting on a wing bone, up till then no response to yelping on several different calls. they came in from pretty far off, stayed below me in a hollow, circled behind me and came out on a field.

I was down in the woods, they stayed out on the field, they stayed awhile strutting, spitting/drumming, gobbling and looking but wouldn't come down in

on one of their quiet spells when they were still over the drop off I thought they might be sneaking in, then I saw bright red coming up and started thinking of which fry pan and bacon grease or butter to use, turned out to be a cardinal fluttering around  :TooFunny:

SteelerFan

Monday 5/9 - Heard exactly 0 gobbles on the roost. Did exchange pleasantries with a hen around 6:15 - 6:30. Went for a stroll to the other section of property, plenty of sign. Trolled up a gobble at 11:10. Big bird gobbled down and to the left, jake(s) down and to the right (below me on the mountain). Birds fired up for 10-15 minutes, hammering back. Turns out, they were just courtesy gobbles, and showed no sign of closing any distance. Due to the clock winding down, I got more aggressive than usual, but to no avail. All signs point to hens in company for the better part of the morning / day right now in my neck of the woods. Normally, a gobble after 10 / 11 equals a kill-able bird...

HFultzjr

Quote from: SteelerFan on May 09, 2016, 03:23:51 PM
Monday 5/9 - Heard exactly 0 gobbles on the roost. Did exchange pleasantries with a hen around 6:15 - 6:30. Went for a stroll to the other section of property, plenty of sign. Trolled up a gobble at 11:10. Big bird gobbled down and to the left, jake(s) down and to the right (below me on the mountain). Birds fired up for 10-15 minutes, hammering back. Turns out, they were just courtesy gobbles, and showed no sign of closing any distance. Due to the clock winding down, I got more aggressive than usual, but to no avail. All signs point to hens in company for the better part of the morning / day right now in my neck of the woods. Normally, a gobble after 10 / 11 equals a kill-able bird...

That's exactly what I'm running into. Usually "late" birds are much more callable. Seems this year all they want to do is say "hello". Hope it gets better as it gets later in the season. Usually does.

catclr

Well what a high pressure day makes. Went to different area, and first gobble was at 5 am., I thought holy crap, not even light, then at 5:10 am, another bird gobbled. I ended up hearing 6 birds gobble, just the early ones close. Best I could tell they were on the ground by 5:30 am., and on the move, and so was I. Ended up catching up to them in a big corn stubble field, as following and calling, all they would do was answer, but would not come back. In the field was a hen, Jake, & Long Beard, they were 200-300 yds. out in the field. Closes they came was 80 yds. The LB gobbled up till 8 am. and then just put on a show strutting. They moved away, lost sight of them, and never heard anymore. Stayed in the area, siting high in the edge of the woods and field, and saw nothing till 10 am. So back to truck and to my regular spot. Low and behold at 11:10 am, a bird started gobbling, first since season opened. I did some calling and he would answer, but really did not care. I was on one side and he about 1000 yds. across from me in some logged timber, and was even able to see him gobble, strut, ans when he started moving, he started putting, loss sight of him and never neard him till quitting time of noon.
Like some others have said guess they were just hello gobbles, but since he started gobbling on his own, thought he might be workable. Guess he had other ideas and still in the mode of I gobble, you hen come to me. Ha Ha!!!

SteelerFan

May 16 - Heard 1 bird gobble on the roost 4 or 5 times waaaaaayyyyy off. 0 in my neck of the woods. So glad legal hours were extended starting today... I could not hear a bird for a little longer  ::)

35 degrees to start the day at 0-dark-thirty. Wind picked up by 11.

Twowithone

Gobblers were talking up in Potter on this past Saturday. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

HFultzjr

Went out today and I think it was the 1st day this year I didn't hear a gobble.
Got a late start, hunted 8:30 -11:30.
Had to go back home to do some things.
Went back out to a spot near home (15 min.), where I was seeing/hearing them.
Stayed from about 1:30 - 5:30, then had to head home again.
I might have heard one way, way, way across the road, but I can't say for certain.
Hearing is not as good as it used to be and if they just gobble once, makes it tough.
At least I didn't get wet.
:character0029:

TauntoHawk

im not in central PA but in SE PA it can be real tough to find turkeys and tougher to find them on public. After tons of scouting last year I located a big flock and put two great birds down from that area last year.. this year they were all in exactly the same roost areas preseason and a bunch of them, season rolled around and they are straight up gone no clue where to. Best guess is a private farm out of ear shot
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

catclr

5/19-5/21/16----Heard no gobbling any of these three days.
Today 5/21, raining so went to one of my blind set up's, set out two decoy's, at 7 a hen shows up at decoys, and fed, back and forth, loss sight for a time and then she was back, and this lasted for a total of 3 1/2 hrs. Around 10, did see another bird, but was not able to tell what it was. The hen that kept me company all morning, feeds towards the other bird, and then she started to talk some low yelps. Up to that point did not hear her make a sound, even when around the decoy's, but then it was raining hard.

HFultzjr

I haven't heard a gobble or seen a bird for so long I forget what they sound or look like.
Unbelievable year, if I didn't know better, I would think they are extinct in my part of the woods.
Still seeing sign (scratchings), but always a day later than when they were there.
Before season, I was seeing/hearing more birds than I can remember in years.
After the 1st day, I've seen/heard less birds than I can remember in years.
I still have a few more outings, but looking less and less hopeful each day.
Vegetation is really getting thick where I'm at.
Hope to at least "play" with one more.

Twowithone

They were gobbling in Indiana this past Friday. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

compton30

Quote from: HFultzjr on May 22, 2016, 08:55:00 PM
I haven't heard a gobble or seen a bird for so long I forget what they sound or look like.
Unbelievable year, if I didn't know better, I would think they are extinct in my part of the woods.
Still seeing sign (scratchings), but always a day later than when they were there.
Before season, I was seeing/hearing more birds than I can remember in years.
After the 1st day, I've seen/heard less birds than I can remember in years.
I still have a few more outings, but looking less and less hopeful each day.
Vegetation is really getting thick where I'm at.
Hope to at least "play" with one more.

Same here. I haven't heard a gobble since I called one in for my cousin on Opening Day. Brutal.

HFultzjr

Quote from: Twowithone on May 22, 2016, 09:38:09 PM
They were gobbling in Indiana this past Friday. :OGturkeyhead:

Of course! One of the nice days that I couldn't get out. Same thing today. I think I can give it a shot tomorrow and the weather looks good. Really wanted to try this morning, thinking after the rainy weekend, they might get stirred up to some early morning sunshine.