OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Central PA Gobbling Report  (Read 20860 times)

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Central PA Gobbling Report
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2016, 09:16:28 AM »
Yeah,
I heard the winds this morning, turned over and went back to sleep.
LOL.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 08:46:53 AM »
04/07/16
Saw a single long beard feeding in a field about 10:00.
He looked very lonely.....LOL
So cold and windy, I think he was saying
gob..gob...gobble.

04/08/2016
Cold, windy and 1-2 inches of snow on the ground.
What happened to spring?
Even the crows are not active behind the house.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2016, 09:30:40 AM »
extremely weird spring... warm February/March then cold start to April
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
Calling for snow tonight / tomorrow?? Ugh...

Offline catclr

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »
4/9/16
Well had to mail some call orders this morning. On way to PO, low & behold, a flock of turkeys along a creek bottom, no sure how many hens, but did count 3 Jakes, & 3. Longbeards, these were strutting, and dang, no camera.  Would of made a nice picture strutting in the snow. They were still in the creek bottom a hour later when going home.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2016, 09:09:39 PM »
southern york co.------- 3 toms gobbling in a field in the snow this morning at a farm I was working at

Offline catclr

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 09:06:04 AM »
4/12/16

With rain this morning, took walk, birds no talking. So with rain getting harder, move to where I could sit in truck and watch fields. Did not see a thing, till went to leave, and here a hen was in the wheat field behind me, all alone. Moved down the road, to glass some fields, nothing. So headed to where I saw the birds on Sat. in the snow. Here I see some birds, glass them, 6 Jakes. Then noticed in another field, a flock of turkeys, glass them, and he we have 5 hens, 3 Long Beards, & 6 Jakes. So I look back at the first 6 Jakes, and here they come, and head to the other 14 birds. Well, when the 6 Jakes get to the other's, the 3 LB, start chasing them around, purring, flogging them, etc., and they put on quite a show.

As I was getting ready to leave, looked down the first field, where the 6 Jakes had come from, and now we have 5 deer, running, playing, and chasing each other.  I guess with the temps. at 50* this morning, they felt it was time to welcome Spring back.

It turned out to be a Great morning. 

Offline Ruger M77

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 05:20:08 AM »
They were realy gobblin here in Schuylkill co yesterday morning
I eat therefore I hunt

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 10:02:03 PM »
04/14/2016

10:30 am
Made a quick run up a dirt road to a parking area I hunt on my way back from a job.
Just as I pulled into the parking area, I saw 3 jakes off to my left in some pines.

Plan on going out to my usual spot where I'll be hunting come opening day on Saturday before daylight.
1st time out there this year, except to check the road condition.

Offline PALongspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2016, 07:18:43 AM »
Lots of gobbling here but birds are definitely still wadded up. Hopefully things get right over the next few weeks.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2016, 03:05:43 PM »
04/16/2016

Went out to my usual spot. Where I plan on being 1st day.
Got there about 5:15am. Sat by car and finished my cup of coffee.
A great place to park, as I can hear a pretty good distance.
Listened to the morning wake-up.
Not much happened. I did hear a couple of gobbles that sounded like they were right under the tree I sit at.
Waited until about 7:00am, then drove up the road to check out the rest of the area.
Went less than 1/2 mile and a jake was off the road to my right.
Went to the T in the road, then right.
Out near my 2nd spot, saw 4 deer and a fair amount of scratching.
Out to the left of the T saw a decent amount off scratching.
Nice morning, but not gobbling like I thought they should.
I know they are in the area, just didn't hook up with them this morning.
I didn't go to my exact spot, as I don't want to spook them, but that is where the gobbling was.

Offline catclr

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »
4/17/16

Since was not out most of week cause of health issues, got out this morning. Started by sitting on a high spot, and at 5:50 heard 2 gobbling. So parked the truck, and took a walk. Some other gobblers chimed in with one of the first two I heard early. Next saw a deer ran out of corn field, kept walking, and noticed more deer, but no, instead two coyotes about 60 yds. ahead of me, standing broadside, and wished I had a gun. They just kept ahead of me working the edge of the corn field and woods. As I moved east, started to hear more gobblers, and hen's talking. Now have lost sight of the coyotes. So enjoyed the hen's and gobblers and watched 8 cross a field, mix of hen's, jakes, and longbeards.  So then worked back to where I had parked, and then went to a spot just off the field edge, and sat on a log to listen more. Heard some gobbling east of me, and they kept getting closer, so I got out of their, and back to the truck, and left.
Great morning, but maybe will need to carry a gun, in case I see those, coyotes again.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Central PA Gobbling Report
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2016, 09:37:22 PM »
Got out to check my favorite public spot on  Saturday. Got there at 5:30 hiked about 1.5 miles in owl hooted a single time and the birds sounded off all below me where I thought they'd be. Bunch gobbled good and flew down and made their way out onto a piece of private fields to strut like normal. I dropped down onto the ridge to glass the fields and got visuals on 6 longbeards 2 seemed to be very dominant and at least 8 jakes they were everywhere. The trick in this spot is to get in tight as they roost on public but 99% of mornings head straight to un accessible private ground.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2016, 10:02:35 AM »
Went out to my honey hole for the first time this year to give a listen and a tom was hammering at roughly 7:30. Watched him with a hen and 2 jakes for about an hour before a second gobbler sounded off around 9. Hopefully it keeps heating up!

Offline Duckman69

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2016, 04:25:53 PM »
4-16-16 Birds in Bedford County were gobbling on the roost before First light.  After the sun came up nothing. We heard them while we were waiting for the 8AM start time for the Trout Opener

4-17-16 Birds in Indiana County were very vocal this morning at first light.  Still seeing birds when I am traveling too and from work.  They are in smaller bunches now compared to 10 days ago.