turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Central PA Gobbling Report

Started by HFultzjr, March 11, 2016, 09:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catclr

Even with temps at 28, this morning, the hens and gobblers were in a talking mood. Hen's started about 7:10 am. & didn't stop till 7:45 am.  Heard 4 different groups of gobblers. This one group of hens, had all the gobblers with in ear range, gobbling.

HFultzjr

Funny how one place they are going like crazy and the next the don't seem to exist.
Then it switches.
Cold weather really seems to shut them up in my area.

Yoder409

3/19/16 report:

I'm a whisker west of central.  But not too far.

Rolled Momma and the two little ones out early yesterday morning.  28 degrees.

We got to our listening spot about 6:45 and a wad of 3-5 birds were gobbling as we opened the truck doors.  We listened to them for quite a while waiting for others to open up elsewhere.  But only heard one other bird about 3/4 mile away.  So there were about 3-5 more birds that I heard two weekends ago that were not being vocal yesterday.

So we headed over to the restaurant for breakfast and saw a flock of 20-ish birds (there were 42 in it two weekends ago) with 6 strutters.

All in all a nice morning to be turkey folk.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

catclr

Report 3/21/16

Now this morning colder than Sunday, at 26, gobblers started at 6:40 am. & last I heard was at 8 am when leaving.  Did not hear the hens today, like yesterday.

HFultzjr

03/21/2016 report:

Went out at daybreak. 22 degrees and light snow on the ground.
Didn't hear a thing. Went back in at 7:15.....too dang cold out.
I'll wait until it warms up this week.

catclr

3/22/16

Another 26 degree morning.  Again around 6:40 am gobbling on roost. Then I heard a couple hens talking. No more gobbling till about 6:50 am. and they were on the ground. I went to the west side of a hollow, hens & gobblers on east side. Sat and listened. Around 7:30 am heard something across hollow in leaves, thought deer, but no, here comes a turkey, then another. Glassed them, and two jakes, came down the east side of the hollow, heading south. Kept hearing the hens & gobblers, heading north. When I came out at 8 am., the two jakes, that I saw in the hollow, were standing withing 40 yds. of my truck in a field. They just ran east as I walked to the truck. 

HFultzjr

Sounds like you got a real hot spot.

HFultzjr

03/24/2016

Didn't hear anything until about 7:15.
Then several started over on the mountain. 1st ones I've heard over there this year.
Birds that were behind the house were quiet, or moved.
Surprised how long it took to hear the 1st one on such a nice morning.
Only lasted about 15 - 20 minutes.
Come on spring!

catclr

3/27/16

Birds started gobbling at 6:30 and went till 7:15, didn't hear any more till I left at 7:45. The gobbling this morning 99% was on the tree. One lone bird, did gobble once on ground, up to 7:15.
One thing I did notice today, the birds are really spread out over a large area, so the winter flocks, have broken up.

M,Yingling

Birds was going pretty good this morning tied the dog up at 620 am this morning he gave a bark and the birds started at least 3 going back and fourth,,, let the heavy scouting begin lol
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

HFultzjr

03/28/2015

Decided to take the "back way" home after dropping my son off to work.

8:15 saw a flock of at least 20 birds, working an old corn field. Was too far to get a good look and on a rolling hill. Posted area that is not friendly to hunters.

8:30 saw about 10 on an old logging road. Looked like all hens, best I could tell.

Back Home by 9:00

catclr

3/28/16

With it raining, just checked a field from driveway, and counted 21 birds, and 6 were strutting.

HFultzjr

They sure love the fields and openings when it's raining.
1st place I check.

HFultzjr

04/02/2016

A couple of gobblers behind the house had a conversation going with a couple across the road on the mountain. All were pretty distant from me, but they went on from about 7:15am to 7:45am. Off and on. Funny that I didn't hear anything at 1st light. Cold weather on the way will probably shut them up for a few days.

catclr

Cold not a problem.  These winds of up to 50-60 mph does not help. Birds end up in places they might not usually be, just to get away from the winds. The way it looks will be this way all week.